FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Cool CA95 Wheel rims

I am trying to complete the resto of my 1965 Benly 150. I ordered a pair of wheel rims from Thailand off or ebay, but they sent 17" x 36 hole wheels which are not correct.

Does anyone know where I can find a decent pair of wheel rims for this bike?

Or someone who can refinish them at a decent price? Mine are a little rusty and pitted.

Or, if someone wants to finish my project, I will make them a great deal, as I need to downsize my fleet of bikes.

Please contact me at [email protected] if interested or if you can help.

Thanks!

Mike
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yeah ordering stuff from overseas on Ebay is kinda risky but it's the easy option for people. I have found that the main sellers of those items are the same person or a few friends that bid their auctions UP. I found this out when I was bidding on some rubber steps. I had been watching other auctions of the same rubber steps and NO ONE ever bid on them. So the next month I bid on a set and guess what? Someone was actually bidding AGAINST me for them when there were other auctions of the same item! Yeah that's not fishy. THen I checked that bidding party's history and they had been bidding on items from that seller many time in the last 2 months but had never actually WON an auction for any of those items. Now why would someone bid so much and never win any auctions? Yeah all those guys bid back and forth on their own auctions. All of those little trinkets make them too much money for them not to engage in a little artificial price fixing. It's big money to them just to get a couple more dollars out of each auction.

No big surprise to see you got the wrong wheels. They don't care. They make them for pennies and they are the equivalent of something that you might have bought in the US in the 60's. All that stuff is made from old manufacturing process's and I wouldn't consider it safe, mainly parts just for looks.

Ok that's enough ebay scamming talk and bashing those thai ebay sellers. I have bought stuff from them but I had to email back and forth to make them confirm if they were genuine Honda parts or not. They also LOVE to take pictures of fake parts on top of HOnda packaging! Those are all total scams in most cases. I almost paid for a set of levers for a Honda until I requested a confirmation that they were authentic. Of course they weren't. They even used the words "genuine original parts" in the Ebay description!! I told ebay in about 15 emails about how they were doing business and they don't care. They keep no records and don't want to discourage anyone from selling on Ebay anyway... they lose money when they tighten the rules. There is no protection against buying things so I just recommend that everyone use a credit card when buying. Paypal hardly does anything for you either.

I'm sorry for your loss of $$.
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Admin

There are places that you can buy rims from but they are a few hundred dollars. To buy a set of steel rims and the hardware it's easily $450 once you get it. To have them laced up by a company that knows what they are doing - the people you will be buying the rims and hardware from - it will cost you at least $600. But they will be absolutely perfect.

It's just not worth it. I highly recommend waiting for someone who is parting out their bike on Ebay. You see people selling wheels from time to time and many other models and years of Hondas will fit on that bike.

Having them refinished is so much that it's not even an option to me.
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Default Junk or some OK stuff?

Thanks Smithers. I just found that my rear rim is bent and that the PO, or somebody, tried to straighten it. They actually did an OK job, but I saw an E-bay ad for 16" rims. Do you know anything about them? Are there any items from Thailand that are OK?

Last edited by 63.5 benly; 04-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Admin

I would just hate to pay any kind of shipping from over there. It's a ton of money and you are screwed if it's not up your standards when you get it. I would keep looking for some wheels in the U.S. I would track down the part number for the rims and start calling around trying to locate some. There are some out there in someone's inventory somewhere. Either that or some will pop up on Ebay. They should be the exact same as my Honda 160 as well. So there are a few bikes that will be sharing that part number.

Also give Charlie's Place a call for some Honda wheel advice. If anyone can help you quickly they should know where to find some since fixing old Honda motorcycles is what they do. They have some cool stuff on that site. I still haven't had time to go through it all.
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:02 AM

what bikes interchange with the 1964 ca-95 benly? is there a site or a book where I can find out and not have such a limited amount of search references.