FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-19-2011, 04:14 PM

Default Throw over saddlebags?

Searched the forum and only saw stuff about Buco-style bags. I wondered if anyone can recommend some leather throw over bags that will fit and look nice on the Benly? Nylon bicycle panniers would work well but would look out of place IMO.
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Throw over saddlebags might be a good idea. I have not seen any for the CA95's or the like. One would have to build a frame of some sort to keep the bags from beating up the paint.
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Im running some RiverRoad throw over (pleather) bags. When I bought them a few years ago they were around $75 however I saw last week they are on sale for $40 through cycle gear. They are the compact plain style. Hubby built a brace and tied it into the luggage rack to keep the bags from banging into the side of the bike. Let me post a picture.

IMG_8085 by bruceandkellie, on Flickr

IMG_8088 by bruceandkellie, on Flickr
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM

That's the look I am after and they look like they could carry a 2-liter of frosty beverage. Maybe one day you could post a pic of the bag rails that you set up.
BTW I dig the white seat upholstery!
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks!!! Those saddlebags are perfect size for that bike. I can carry quite a lot in them. Plus they have two small pockets on the back towards the taillight that fits a bottle of water perfectly. Oh and since I have two small pockets (one on each side) It doubles as a perfect holder for my closable coffee mug!!! And, I bet if I weren't one against drinking and riding, it would hold a very very nice bottle of stout!!!! I am off work for the next few days, so I will snap a quick picture of the saddlebag guards he made. Now mind you, they aren't gorgeous but they are very functional, and keep the bags from flapping around! Oh and I forgot to mention, that they are the ones that can zip off if you want to take them inside with you.

Last edited by KellieLyne; 11-22-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: more information provided
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM

I like the turn signals too!
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM

I bought the bike that way. I saw it on Ebay, and decided I had to have it. I got it for $1400.00 + shipping which was about 350 from Ohio to Cali. The only thing I added were the saddlebags. The bike has about 6500 original miles on it, and it smoked a bit when I got it. (It was suppose to have new rings in it) so we didn't know what was going on. We took it apart and found that whoever put the new rings in it, put them in the wrong positions and upside down. So there was oil blowing past them, causing it to smoke. Since we fixed the ring problem it has ran great ever since. I will be selling this bike once my 305 is finished. It's been a great little bike, and I love it to pieces. I just don't have room for two bikes, and I am IN LOVE WITH MY 63 Dream. Im not sure if you noticed the license plates. They are actually for my 63 Dream, that is not completely finished yet, and my personalized plates came in before I was ready to restore it. So onces the 63 is finished those plates are going on it and the 65 CA95 will get a fresh set and up for sell. I will miss it.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Don't we wish we had room for them all!
Unread 11-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Yes we do!!! But sometimes, its better to pass them along for someone else to enjoy instead of letting it sit around collecting dust. I will definitely get lots of pictures of the two bikes together for memory sake. I probably won't even bother selling the 150 until spring. After the 63 is finished, we have an Indian Brave that needs to be restored, and Hubby would like to paint his Harley (OD green, and Black) And Maybe after that, we will get back to the 39 Chevy that is collecting dust. Sounds a little ambitious to me though. Okay all, have a great day!