FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Default CA95 resto in progress.

Just stumbled upon this site and figured I would post.
I'm in the process of restoring this 65' Dream 150. It was all pretty much there when I got it but was missing the clutch and front brake cables. The chain guard is missing also. Having a hard time locating one of these.
The engine was stuck so I pulled it apart hoping the pitons were stuck. Well, they weren't the rod bearing was.
The tank has no rust inside!
Here's some pics of my progress so far.

Before disassembly-

2 different pistons!!

Unread 01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hey not too bad of shape. It must have really stressed that crank with two different types of pistons, wow. An original pair of cables just will take time to find but they are out there. Looks good. Are you planning on keeping it white?
Unread 01-31-2009, 05:39 AM

I already have the cables and a new tail light assy and gasket set.
Got them all off eBay.
It had the original bore pistons in it so I got a .25 over piston set off eBay also.

I picked up a used crank off eBay and was assured it was in great shape. When I got it the rod was seized in the upward position. The seller said it must have happened in transit over the 2 days it took. He also said to put some oil on it and try to loosen it up!

Here's what it looked like. He did agree a full refund including return shipping so it turned out okay. I'm still looking for another one.

I do plan on keeping it white. And powder coating the engine side covers Bengal Silver. That is the color this guy used. This bike is beautiful! Look what he started with! http://www.2wheelconnection.com/honda_restoration.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda dream 044 (2).jpg (63.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Throttlejockey; 01-31-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Admin

Wow thanks for that link. I've kinda been looking for some good white walls for my CA160. And to have an exact (or darn close and good looking) color match for that silver is awesome. The only reason I don't polish out my brake hubs is that I like to leave the anti-corrosion covering on them. Someday I'll figure out or discover the right stuff to dip or spray them with once they are polished.

How much did he sell the crank to you off of Ebay? That rust is unacceptable! I'm glad he owned up to the failed bearing. That engine had to have been sitting in pieces outside. Once the bottom end of any engine is opened up the instantly start rusting.

I have a spare pair of original pistons if you need any. Sounds like you have that covered already. I can't remember what overbore they are. Wow that picture has a perfect seat on that Honda. I wonder how he pulled that off. =]
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:55 AM

I'm all set with the pistons. I got the crank for $32 shipped and it came with a points plate and stator.
I got the other parts because they were thrown in with the deal. I sent it all back.
You can find the seat covers on eBay.

I wouldn't polish the hubs either but that bike does look nice.
Unread 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Admin

Did you happen to find another crankshaft? Don't make me sell you my spare!
Unread 02-13-2009, 01:37 PM

I did get another one off eBay. Hasn't arrived yet but if it isn't up to par I may ask you.
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Admin

Keep me and your thread updated. There are spares out there. Problem is that most people that have these bikes in their backyards under the trees don't even realize it. I went to pick one up as the seller seriously thought it was a 305 Dream! I had to break the news to him that he didn't have anything even close. He was bummed when I showed him the engine ID to convince him.
Unread 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Here's what was delivered on Saturday. WTF. The outer cage was rattling around in the box and the rest of the roller bearings are no where to be found.
Luckily the crank isn't damaged and seems to be in good shape.
The seller is going to give me a partial refund reluctantly. Talk about crappy packaging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda Dream 050.jpg (65.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg honda dream 052 (2).jpg (49.2 KB, 13 views)
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Admin

WOW that's pretty bad! sorry to hear and see that. Most people just don't care or take pride in anything. Well at least you got one in good shape besides the postal beating.