FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Default Unrelated bike

A friend of the wifes mom called last night to have me check out a motorcycle for her, it's a 1975 Yamaha RD200B. Has been garaged its entire life- get this, has 180 miles original. She's known this bike from new and just got the title from the original owner. I'll go Sunday and check it out. Surely needs tires and a total cleanup, everything lubed and checked, carbs and tank cleaned. Too bad she won't let it go, of course the wife would have a fit if I got another bike!
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I've never been a 2 stroke guy, but it sounds like a good machine. 180 miles is crazy. I wonder why it was parked so early?

I understand the spousal consent thing. I have 5 bikes in the garage and she told me that was enough. You just never know what will follow you home, though.
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Every now and then we stumble across a crazy old bike without any miles... funny how this happens. People just have the illusion of riding in their minds and having a motorcycle in the garage is enough to fulfill that fantasy.
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM

It seems the girl was afraid of the machine, but not enough to get rid of it. Saw an ad from that time frame (1975), the thing cost $600.00 new. I'd say if it's not scratched up, probably worth at least $1500.00 or better today. I'll post pics Sunday night.
Will anyone complain if a Yamaha is on this forum?
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Upon seeing the bike it was dusty and mostly untouched for 35 years. Kinda a time capsule. Several years ago the owners nephew tried to get the bike running- he succeeded in losing the left carb bowl, left carb to air cleaner rubber plenum and hardware. Just to think, if he got it running I wouldn't be writing this now.
Obvious problems- tires cracked, cables needing lube, brakes needing a look, carbs crappy, tank with light film of rust inside, the whole bike needing to be disassembled, cleaned, lubed and loved (no engine stuff). Current owner has a plan to spend not more than $500.00 to get running like new. I thought no more than $300.00. Hmmmm... I could be wrong. Parts are hard to find for this particular bike= pricey.
Good stuff- chrome nice- never outside, tank pretty- a scuff or two, all rubber pieces pristine, entire bike unused and ready for someone to make it ready for the road. These lightweights are great fun for in-town riding.
And yes... only 194 original miles! Holy moly! See pics.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Even with such low miles, old 2-strokes often have other issues, such as crankcase seals that need replacement to ensure proper crankcase compression on the down stroke. Replacing those seals requires a complete engine tear-down. The reed valve probably needs attention (or inspection), too.

Since it's been idle for decades, I wouldn't trust the oil injection but would start with pre-mix fuel until the oil injection system is proven to work. There are lots of 2-stroke guys on the vjmog.com site that would have good advice.

That bike is getting hard to find, and parts are scarce, but there are guys that live and breathe these old 2 stokes that would love to start a project with that 194 mile bike.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM

Can't upload pics, tried a couple of times- might be my computer. Need to do a bugsweep again.
Parts are a problem child for this bike so far. Just wonder if she's attached to the bike and wants it running or offer it as a trade for a nice running newer bike? What would it's value be? Ballpark?
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Any luck trying to upload some pics? You can send them to me and I'll put them on here if you want. Message me if you want my address to email them. And boy a old RD? She would be lucky to get $500 for it in my opinion. If it ran down the road maybe $1500 if it was cherry? I don't see anyone paying much for it. But I do know a couple guys that have that bike in their collection and they don't run. They would probably pay that much just to have one that does... so they don't have to work on their broken ones.