FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Motorcycle Parts Wanted

Unread 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM

Default WTB: Engine Chain Guard

Im looking for an engine chain guard for a 66 CA160 my has a crack in it.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Get it welded, chain cases are hard to come by as they often get discarded or not reinstalled by a previous owner (po).
Seems like these are the hard to find pieces and maybe the group can add stuff i missed;
mufflers and nicer header pipes,
good petcocks,
carb covers, (both CA95 and CA160)
chain guards, especially the bottom half
good tank emblems, not repops-
nicer rear shocks
accessories, luggage racks, crash bars etc.
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Not sure it can be welded, a piece is broken off were it screws in. Ill try to take a pic and post and you canlet me know.
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:58 AM

This is the part that is broken, i dont have the part that is missing.
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:25 AM

Sorry no pic...
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:28 AM

Not to mention don't let the chain guard hold you up. I've seen many without and if you didn't know you can't tell. The bike looks fine without and the guard can be installed at any time. How safe it is is your determination.
Depending on the damage a new piece might be fabbed and welded in place.
Or just keep trolling eBay.
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Larz is right, it may take some patience to get that chain guard. With my CA95 project, I waited months, checking eBay regularly, then somebody parted out a bike and sold everything, including a chain guard, which I picked up for $53.50.

Shame the aftermarket didn't make them, even in plastic.
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Its funny (or not). I was in a bike shop a few weeks ago and I spotted a CA160 that the guy had for sale. I swear I didn't look at the bike at all. All I saw were good pipes, both side covers, chain guard, carb cover, gas tank, and title. I don't care about the engine or the rest of the bike (it's not "Spokes" rusty but...). I have to evaluate the bike for the choice parts it has, and because it has those choice, hard to find parts, all on one original bike, this bike will stay together. Now if I can get the white ca95 he has for free in the deal (we are bartering) there might be a guard on that bike - we'll see.
So yep I have new CA160 coming into the fold in another week or so- and it has Buco's on it I'm trying to get in the deal.

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 02-24-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM

BTL what do think a plastic repop would be worth. I may be able to work that out if the demand is there.
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
BTL what do think a plastic repop would be worth. I may be able to work that out if the demand is there.
It would have to be a pretty good casting. Assuming a set of plastic guards appeared accurate to the originals, I assume you could get $75 a pair, maybe $90.

I believe Spokes said that a full pair of CA95 or CA160 guards can be used on either model, but the halves cannot be swapped between the two. If a repro is done right, it should fit either model.

Hard to estimate global latent demand - thinking aloud, I'd assume anywhere from 50 to 250 pair of guards, but that's a wild guess. Could be more.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 02-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Should be able to do a 3-d scan of a good original part. Revise any changes in Solidworks, 3d print the item as a mold master, build the mold, melt out the original 3d print and start injection molding.
Sounds easy...
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Would have loved to see the original stamping equipment for these bikes...
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM

i couldnt get the pic to post, it kept failing. ill try again later. i guess ill keep checking out ebay for the guard. The one i have will probably stay on so ill have to put in on untill i find somthing.

Im jealous that you finds deals like that or bikes like that in general. Finds like that are hard to come by in NY and if you do find them they seller wants way to much money for them. Congrats on the new ca160. Im learning to do the same as well, look at the hard to find parts first then move on to the rest of the bike.
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
Should be able to do a 3-d scan of a good original part. Revise any changes in Solidworks, 3d print the item as a mold master, build the mold, melt out the original 3d print and start injection molding.
Sounds easy...
Do you think a decent chain guard could be produced that way?

I see that there are aftermarket guards readily available for my Honda Super Cub, but with more than 60 million of those bikes produced, I can see a sizeable market. Only $29.99, plus $35 to ship to the US. Not bad, should I ever need a set.
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Yea Kev, I have one of those repop guards for my S65. Believe me when I say the work I refer to will be from overseas. Through a past acquaintance I am going to attempt to learn the ropes of doing business directly with manufactures in Thailand and perhaps Viet Nam.
There are good people there, who like Americans. The key is being in direct contact with you suppliers, as in face to face. The relationships are much better under these circumstances. He travels 3 or 4 times a year and his production costs are about 1/10th the cost of manufacturing here. While I'd love to build American, these things weren't in the first place. I've also considered going over and buying a containers worth of anything I could get my hands on from bikes to parts. The overall break on shipping might make that venture profitable.
BTW can it be done"that way'. You can, and it has been done, print a working firearm from a domestically available 3d printer. An AR-15 platform was printed and several real rounds were successfully fired from it. Plans for many weapons are already available- should be doable for a motorcycle part.