FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM

Search CA95 headlight on eBay. An easy find. Keep your original headlight rim and transfer the new light to the original rim, it will fit better. You will also need to tie in your high beam wire in the speedo to the high beam wire on the new headlight.
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
The rear sprockets on the CA95 & 160 are mostly 36 tooth. You probably have a 16 tooth on the engine. You can go down to a 12 tooth on the engine to gain more low end torque, but you sacrifice high end speed. You can go with a bigger rear sprocket if you don't use the chain guard. I replace chain and sprockets for my restore projects as a matter of habit and use standard sizes.
Hi Gregg and Chip,

Chip, have you ever gone down to 12 teeth with the front sprocket?
The smallest I have used is 14 and I would think the stock chain would foul the sprockets retaining bolts, just a thought.

Sam.
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:52 AM

quote Greeg.

Finally got my new battery today. Replaced the D10HS plugs the PO had in there with what are supposed to be correct D8HA's. I installed everything, turn the ignition on and the brake light lit up, so she's got power, but she won't start.

Do you guys have any tips for getting these girls started? Choke? Throttle?

The electric starter turns the motor over, and she's getting gas, so I'm thinking I'm probably just doing something wrong. I have no idea what the switch on the left handle does, but I tried starting it in both positions. The choke has a lever with an arrow pointing outward that says "OPEN", but does that mean the choke is on when the lever is lifted, and the throat is open when it's pushed down?

Thanks Guys!

Gregg, the choke is on when the leaver is in the up possition.
Most small Hondas from this period do not like any throttle when starting.
Just take up any slack in the cable and press the starter or kick.
In respect of the choke slide, does the CA have a little flapper door built into it, can't tell from your pictures?

Sam.
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:00 AM

Sam,
It's good that you have chimed in. Yes I have fit a 12 tooth sprocket on the CA95. The chain is close. Perhaps you are right that for the long term a 14 tooth drive sprocket may be better.
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Thanks for your reply Sam,

My choke slide does not have the little flapper I've seen on other models, however my carb body does have CA95 stamped into it, which I just noticed yesterday.

I've just ordered a 15 tooth sprocket for the front, but I found a 14 tooth if I decide I don't have enough pull for the hills. I also purchased a 36 tooth for the rear. What chain size is standard on these bikes? That's my next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
quote Greeg.

Finally got my new battery today. Replaced the D10HS plugs the PO had in there with what are supposed to be correct D8HA's. I installed everything, turn the ignition on and the brake light lit up, so she's got power, but she won't start.

Do you guys have any tips for getting these girls started? Choke? Throttle?

The electric starter turns the motor over, and she's getting gas, so I'm thinking I'm probably just doing something wrong. I have no idea what the switch on the left handle does, but I tried starting it in both positions. The choke has a lever with an arrow pointing outward that says "OPEN", but does that mean the choke is on when the lever is lifted, and the throat is open when it's pushed down?

Thanks Guys!

Gregg, the choke is on when the leaver is in the up possition.
Most small Hondas from this period do not like any throttle when starting.
Just take up any slack in the cable and press the starter or kick.
In respect of the choke slide, does the CA have a little flapper door built into it, can't tell from your pictures?

Sam.
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:13 PM

The stock chain is 428-108 Links, available in multiple places...
Unread 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Petcock rebuild kits are still available, I just got one. My tank was in dreadful shape inside, I am using electrolysis to get rid of the rust and it is working great so far, another few days should do it. Bought a headlight build online too. Picked up in November, hope to have it ready to start next month sometime. Fun project!
Biz
Yeah this is my first post.......
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Awesome! Good to have you here Biz. I'm going to have a tank cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaning tank and see how that works. Electrolysis sounds like the ticket as well. I hope you can post a picture or two of your results.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted an update in a while, as the holidays get super busy at work for me with everyone else on vacation.

The bike now has a California title under my name. I non opped it for the meantime until I'm really ready to start riding her. I rebuilt a spare coil with new wires and caps. I found a full set of brake shoes for $30 from the same dealer I purchased my NOS tank from. And, I'm still wrestling with stuck bolts. Acetone and ATF should take care of those. Tomorrow (Friday) is my Sunday this week, so I'll be getting right to work in the morning.

ALSO:

I picked up a '63 parts bike for next to nothing today. It's in sorta rough condition, but isn't so far gone that it's not salvageable. The motor is seized, but it came with a front fender that's in 9 out of 10 condition. It's missing the seat, wheels, carb, swingarm, and tank. She's been sitting in his garage for years, so the rust is just superficial, and it could turn into a nice bike someday. For now, she'll sit in my garage.

The (I believe) Japanese gentleman who sold her to me had a great collection of CL305's. The shining jewel of his collection however was clearly his CB92. It was the only one I've ever seen in person, and I was blown away. He was apprehensive about me taking a picture, so I kindly obliged, but it was the most stunning Japanese motorcycle I've ever seen.
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:47 PM

There is a CB92 0n Ebay UK at the moment, 14 bids and it's at £5,099 at the moment (about $7,700) and has not reached its reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CB92-/14...item20b65e71d8

Sam.
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Parts bike:

Unread 01-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Gregg, your parts bike is the early model, note the tacho drive and different frame pressing just before it goes behind the side covers.

Sam.
Unread 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Sam,

Thanks for the reply. I know it is the early model, it's actually a '63. I couldn't resist it for the price. I really just wanted the engine for spare parts, but he wanted to sell it whole. After evaluating all the small bits still attached to this bike (many of which are resalable as CB92 interchangeable bits) I decided to take it. It's got the star shaped cable adjusters, a nice handlebar, a near perfect front fender, a good working speedo, a complete headlight assembly, ignition switch....too good to pass up.

Aside from the tach drive, how similar are the motors in early and late CA95's?
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:52 PM

A forum member gave me a frozen 1964 CA95 engine and sold me a 1962 and a 1965 CA95 engine.
So far with all three engines broken down I cannot tell much difference with the exception of the tach drive from the 62. Being that all 3 engines were bad, but from different causes, I will be able to build two good engines with all of the parts salvaged. It looks like all the parts are all interchangable from early to late CA95's.
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM

I don't suppose you're willing to part with the horn (if it's working...)?
I'm still looking for one.

Oh, and those little plugs that go in the front forks, right above the smaller chrome dots. (on either side, below the headlight assembly)

Last edited by comp_wiz101; 01-15-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added last bit