FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Default New cl70 owner looking for tips & pointers.

Hello all,

New to this forum and the cl70. I own a couple other bikes as well

I have a 72, bike wouldn't hardly run when i got it.

I've cleaned the carbs, adjusted the points gap, checked the intake valve clearance. I haven't checked the exhaust valve yet due to i can't get the cover off. I Have a replacement coming so i will force it off then.

The bike runs good now but are there any weak or problem areas i should look out for on these little beauties. "Besides the electrical" None of my lights work, but the horn is good and loud...lol Looks like someone tried tackling the electrical problem and failed. So i plan on rewireing the girl myself.

Also can the cam chain be adjusted? I have no manual for this bike yet so i'm just going on past experience. The reason i ask is i've noticed a bit of a rattle, maybe a loose cam chain? Or maybe worse, it looks like the head has been taken off before so maybe someone left something in the patient!!!

I will get pictures up shortly. Thanks to all that reply.

Last edited by deermagnet; 05-08-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Default Anybody here?

Forum must run slowwwww.
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Default pic's

Cleaned it up a bit, tuned it up, cleaned carbs and added a fuel filter.

Still waiting on the manual, so i can really dig in. Any comments or help greatly appreciated. This isn't my first "rodeo" but my first go at a cl70.

Last edited by deermagnet; 05-08-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added more pic's
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM

very nice looking bike Brian. It will take me some serious $$ to make mine that nice. might sound stupid but have you tried replacing the bulbs? my 74 ct70 had all the lights out and it just turned out to be that every bulb was blown. do you have a fresh battery? even with a fresh 6v battery the lights are pretty dim.

this forum should be made into a cl70 specific place as there is nowhere else to go for a community of support specific to these rare bikes. lilhonda.com is also a very good site for info..nothing cl70 specific but alot of knowledge over there on vintage Honda 70s. goodluck
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the comment!

I tested the bulbs and most worked. I have a new battery and the bike start's and runs fine. The horn works and the brake light will work if i pull the front brake. None of the running lights or turn signals work. I tried cleaning up all the connections and grounds with no luck.

The previous owner tried doing some rewiring....looks as though he/she failed. I have the wiring diagram and 5 colors of 18ga wire.

Looks like i'll be busy this winter.
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Everything works now! Yeehaa!

I installed a new (oem) wiring harness, New coil & condenser, signal stat. I painstakingly went through every wire replacing, cleaning connections & grounds.

I found the timing chain was installed incorrectly and the head sprocket was off a tooth. It's a wonder this thing ran at all before. Replaced all the gaskets and seals on the head etc.

It was worth every bit of work to bring this old girl back to proper condition. I will try and get some more pics up shortly.

I still need to find an exhaust, seems the 72 was the only year with the upswept exhaust. These bikes are rare as is and to look for a certain model is mind numbing.
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi Deermagnet. Welcome - sorry so late to chime in but been super busy here. Glad to see a fellow HOnda guy with a CL70! Awesome awesome bikes. Sounds like your on the right track... bike tuned up with the timing done correctly finally. These bikes are bulletproof.

I'm sure you read about my wiring tips with my CL70: http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228

I used to ride mine all over the local mountains and fire roads when I was young. I took the center stand off for more ground clearance (thought I put it somewhere safe but it's now gone :-(. I would flat track the bike a little around turns and jump it off anything I saw. These things are tough! I can even do wheelies on it still but I need to get some new tires and put new fork seals in the ol'boy. I got the seals but just need to force myself to take the time to do it sometime.

So what's wrong with your exhaust? It looks fine in the pictures. They all had upswept pipes as far as I know. Yours is original isn't it?
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Only the 72 had the black heat shield and the angle was changed more upsweep than 69-71.

The header pipe is bad where it meets the muffler. Seems to be a common spot for problems.

Last edited by deermagnet; 01-03-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Some more pics now she's all done. Some were taken before i replaced the tires.

Last edited by deermagnet; 02-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Some pics of my other finished project...yes i've been busy this winter.

Last edited by deermagnet; 02-23-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM

I also do a little brain tanning!

The indians used to use this method, and always intrigued me. Anyone else ever done any tanning? Sorry I'm bored, does it show? Pic finished.

Last edited by deermagnet; 02-23-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

That pastime is new to me. Although I do remember seeing old black and white pictures of Indians doing it just like that.
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
That pastime is new to me. Although I do remember seeing old black and white pictures of Indians doing it just like that.
Yes, i had a very hard time finding info on how it's done. Seems to be a lost art. It take's a lot of work, but the quality far surpasses a modern chemically tanned hide. The brain tanned hide's are as soft as velvet when finished.