FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-13-2012, 12:27 AM

Default Early CA95 is back on eBay

Here again on eBay is that Tokyo Rose CA95 that showed up on eBay shortly after I purchased mine early this year. Last time the seller posted his on eBay, the price was bid up to $3.7k, but it was a no-sale. Seller is now showing his buy-it-now price of $4.5k.

My Tokyo Rose (a.k.a. "Pinky") will never be like this original one that's on eBay. As you can see form my avatar, mine is too far gone and needs a total resto. I've been gradually buying up parts and someday will get to it.

In the meantime, I've purchased two more "late" CA95s. The first one I purchased to get a beaustiful set of NOS early flat sided mufflers and baffles for Pinky. CA95#1 is a white 1963 and has no motor, but otherwise is mostly all there. I had to buy the bike for $500 to get the muffs. It also came with a box full of NOS pistons, valves, cables, rubber bits and other misc stuff. It is a weathered California bike, but all original and has a cool vintage B&S windscreen. So it will come back together as an original survivor, but definitely a "rider".

My second CA95 a friend got for $300 at the Hanford swap meet this year. My plan was to use the motor in this bike for CA95#1. But the problem is I can't seem to bring myself to break up a complete bikes, so I have been trying to get CA95#2 running in my spare time on weekends over the past couple of months. The bike is stored at my friend's house in San Jose (30 miles away), so it's hard for me to make it there every weekend. It is a 1964 and has decent compression, but is not idling well - time to tear into the carb again. This one is also white and definitely needs a repaint.

I did finally score at this year's CJMC swap meet in Auburn a CA95 motor, NOS handlebars, NOS front fender in primer, gasket kits and other misc stuff for $150. The fender and bars will go on Pinky and the motor will go in CA95#1.

I will soon post some pics of CA95#1 and CA95#2. Pics of my Pinky and discussion of the original eBay ad for the subject Tokyo Rose CA95 may be seen at this Forum thread.

Thanks everyone for being here and for participating.
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I was wondering what happened to that pink bike ... and now we know the answer is "nothing".

Still, the bike may be worth what he's asking, given the rarity and originality. Our beloved CA95s never did get the respect (or collector attention) that the CA72/CA77 did. I'd bet a $3900 bid would take the Benly.

It's a shame that the ultra-rare color wasn't something other than that awful hot pink.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I guess if you were in another country trying to read what colors Americans were "buying" during that time you would pick that nasty red. That was probably a very bright and eye catching color for anything on wheels back then. Honda blue would have been just fine in my opinion. It's hard to say it's in bad condition just because it exists from such a low production volume.
Unread 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM

There's a nice late '66 C95 for sale in my area: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...400782705.html
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp_wiz101 View Post
There's a nice late '66 C95 for sale in my area: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...400782705.html
Wow, $3900 Canadian ... that's $3895 USD today, according to Google. Maybe that's another good sign that the Benlys are getting attention.
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Wow, $3900 Canadian ... that's $3895 USD today, according to Google. Maybe that's another good sign that the Benlys are getting attention.
I hope so, but that's a lot of dough for a late-model 150 Dream. It is pretty though and those mufflers look really nice too. Wonder what it'll actually sell for? Notice the thin yellow pinstriping; tracing the edges doesn't do a whole lot to accentuate the lines, IMO.

p.s.: That windscreen is humungous!
Unread 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Zero bids, so once again, the pink early Benly is available to anybody that is looking to drop $3900 on a pink motorbike. As it is, my wife makes fun of me on my black Benly, I can only imagine how she'd react if I had the pink bike.
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Zero bids, so once again, the pink early Benly is available to anybody that is looking to drop $3900 on a pink motorbike. As it is, my wife makes fun of me on my black Benly, I can only imagine how she'd react if I had the pink bike.
Your wife obviously has a good sense of humor and truly appreciates the joy that your "manly" colored Benly brings you.

Yeah, I too noticed that it didn't sell (again). Suffice it to say that the little pink Benly is as big of a "sales success" as it was when new... and that ain't saying much! Oh well, I still like mine and believe the does stand alone as an early first year example of Honda's longstanding successful run of the 150cc Baby Dream.