FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Default 1961 Honda CA95--Part it out or Restore?

So I pick up this 1961 CA95. she's pretty ugly, but no rust. she's all there, just not all together. My question is , should I parts her out to save some other bikes or should I save her?

Unread 07-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Hey, that's the one that was in Dublin right? I always like the idea of getting another dead bike back on the road. There are always parts to find online for these bikes anyways. I just fired mine up yesterday for the first time since I bought it and let me tell you, It's a great feeling!

-Kevin
Unread 07-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshoban View Post
Hey, that's the one that was in Dublin right? I always like the idea of getting another dead bike back on the road. There are always parts to find online for these bikes anyways. I just fired mine up yesterday for the first time since I bought it and let me tell you, It's a great feeling!

-Kevin
Yes, this is the one that was in Dublin. Had to drive 2 hrs to pick her up. But I got her for dirt cheap! even got the original black plate and whole bunch of spare new parts.
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Very cool! start pulling things apart and look at the condition of everything to see if it will make for an easy project. My ca95 is kind of rusty and dirty, but I was able to replace just a few cheap things and start it up, so maybe yours will be just as easy to get going.
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM

I suppose the answer will depend on a few factors...the bike may not be that pretty to you but some new paint and elbow grease works wonders, as I am sure you're aware. I guess the main thing you need to ask yourself is did you buy the bike to fix up? or did you buy it as an investment to make immediate profit?

Since these bikes are sort of scarce, they are worth a little more in parts, unless it is restored as Spokes and others restore them.

So you really have to ask yourself hat kind of restorer are you or want to be? Sympathetic where its back running and looks correct with some aftermarket mixed in. The meticulous restorer where down to every last nut and bolt is correct as it rolled off the assembly line. A modded to your personal taste and hope someone else has the same taste as you if you sell it or are you flexible and like to do all three restoration types? So its not that easy or clear of an answer to give since it is more a personal decision based on who you are.

You should also ask yourself are you willing to label box post and ship every single last piece of it if you part it out online and deal with however many different customers that takes? Or, be a customer on a few parts here and there see the restoration as something enjoyable and not a chore as Kevin suggests, then have one customer after its finished or keep it to enjoy for yourself.

So yeah Sinjin ask yourself those things and maybe it will become clearer as to what you want to do with it. ~Jim

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 07-22-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:09 AM

Jet layed it out pretty clearly as to the ups & downs of making a decision as to what to do with the bike. Keep in mind that older CA95's are sought after more than the later years, so a 1961 is a pretty cool find. I would wash it and put some rust remover on the rims and you will see the bike in a whole new light. Keep it, restore it, trick it, or part it out....no really wrong decision here. Of course, guys like me would take 9 months to a year and a half to bring it back to life. Then again other builders would be excited to get donor parts for their bikes..........