FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Tire & Suspension Talk

Tire & Suspension Talk The most important handling aspect of every vehicle...

Unread 03-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I have put my life in the hands of the BFG Muds and I wouldn't with any other off-road tire. They have been the most predictable and have given me the most traction for all situations. I am most impressed with their performance in the snow as well as in mud, of course. I never knew how much traction I was getting with these until I switched to another brand!!
Plus I've put many many miles on them, enough to run them down to the cords and they STILL work great when they look worn out! I couldn't believe how they show the cords under the rubber yet still hold together at high speed. Simply amazing technology. I have yet to see anyone I know with a flat either. People might claim that they don't last as long because of their softer compound. Well as long as your truck is aligned properly they have proven that they last a long time on many vehicles I have known to run them. Toyotas owners have claimed to get 40K+ miles out of a set. As long as your truck isn't over weight and isn't bent out of shape The BFG Mud Terrain tires will last many miles.
Some owners might complain about the noise they might have or about not getting millions of miles out of them but when they go to another type of tire they will be wishing they were back on the BFG Muds. I made the mistake of changing brands and I was NOT happy with my decision.

The BFG Muds are a perfect compilation of tire technology for all conditions. They are awesome off-road and very impressive on-road. I have definitely put them to the test in both situations and even on the pavement they easily have provided as much grip as other medium terrain tires I have used. One awesome example of their performance is in rainy conditions I had never had a problem in the rain in my truck until I switched to a medium terrain tire. To tell the truth I never even worried about wet weather traction on the freeway or through puddles. Then I put on some medium terrain tires. The difference in handling and confidence is startling! The BFG's simply blow away all medium terrain tires I have driven on in the rain and snow. With any other tire I will NOT drive anywhere near the speeds at which traffic normally moves but with the BFG Muds I simply used common sense and never was forced to slow down due to instability.
And snow? Forget about it! With the BFG's I simply never had to use chains when traveling up over the mountains and I never even HAD them until I was forced to buy some when I had medium terrain tires on. And driving in the snow at 40-50mph without chains is MUCh nicer then driving 15mph with them slapping around.
Yes the BFGoodrich mud terrains might be a little more expensive than medium terrain tires or their competition BUT in this case you get every pennies worth and then some. They have more plies than anyone else, more tread, more puncture resistance everywhere (without a doubt), look really good, have very little sidewall flex, throw a huge roost in dirt and mud, get great traction on the pavement, last a long time, they don't sound like you are driving on noise strips and you can run them till the rubber wears right through without tire failure (even though I don't recommend doing it.
BFGoodrich.com
Unread 04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Admin

My new BFG Muds still aren't here!!! Grrrr. I'm going to wait it out though. My medium terrains are still good to go for a long time. I called BFG and they just can't keep up with the demand right now because in the SPring everyone wants tires they say. :huh:

O but they will be worth the wait!
Unread 05-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Admin

Well I drove to Washington and back. On the way back I just happened to pick up a new set of some new 16" BFG muds. They can take a max of 65lbs and my mpg actually went up on the way back. No I'll never have to worry about traction while driving off road again! Medium terrain tires just don't cut it. And noise? I can't even tell they are muds.
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Admin

I got my first flat tire EVER in my Tacoma 2 weeks ago. I've been driving this truck on a couple sets of Mud Terrain BFG's with one set of Bridgstone Dueler tires in between. I think I picked up a hole while doing doughnuts in the middle of a field where I was cutting wood that weekend.

At least the flat let me get home the night before. I walked outside and pumped up the tire and was able to drive to the tireshop for a fix. Just an easy hole to patch and it's as good as ever.
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Admin

I just realized how long I have had these tires! Now I don't put a ton of miles on my truck but they are STILL the BFG Muds that I bought back in 2004!! Can you believe that? People kept asking me if I got new tires when I would pull up to someones house... well back until late 2007 at least. I have since flipped them inside for out so that the white letters now face inward. This will get me a few more miles out of them and people don't bitch anymore how they don't like seeing the white lettering. The tires just barely would wear faster on the inside than the outside. This is great news considering the beating I have given the front suspension! It still has the STOCK rubber bushings all through out the front end suspension and the alignment adjusters have been tweaked to accommodate the wearing components but it still drives straight! Toyota is the best I tell you. And you can't do any better than fitting up some BFG Mud Terrain tires. Yeah they might cost a little more but you surely get what you pay for... and then some.

Unread 01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Admin

Closer shot of the tires. Check out how even they are wearing down... Perfect!