FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 01-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Default Project #3 1966 CA160

New CA160 Start.
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:13 AM

New Project. Just off of eBay. Putting out shipping bids from Missouri to Georgia. I'm starting to think about color and build needs.

Last edited by Spokes; 01-18-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

The CA160 engine is a nice one. Looking forward to watching the build!
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

I'm glad you're building just ahead of me-you might be able to answer all of MY questions-
Are you going to post as you build? It would be great to follow along and you seem to be a respectable type of fellow. Looking forward to progress
Larz
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM

1-26-2012

Thanks Larz. This is my 3rd CA160 build, so feel free to ask any question! Go to my album and check out my previous CA160 build. I have some parts blow up from a book as well as some scanned pages from the owners manual.

Below is my 3rd CA160, delivered today from Missouri. The shot is after a good wash and removing a real nasty chain and loose upper chain guard.

Much work is needed. The rims are bent, front fender bent, seat wasted, handlebars bent, footpegs bent.....real nasty...right down my alley! What is amazing is that the front tire, with the thin whitewall is nearly perfect and the tank hase some minor light surface rust with a clean petcock. I will begin to disassemble the bike soon.
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Bent or not it cleaned up better than the one I'm starting with. Believe me I looked at your burgundy bike lustfully. I'm planning on a deep (near black) green w/maybe a hint of pearl- unless other bikes get in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0003.jpg (193.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0002.jpg (198.7 KB, 21 views)
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM

1-29-2012

It looks like this bike has sat idle since 1982. I base this fact by the last inspection sticker on the forks is dated 1981. From the road rash, bent footpegs and left muffler being beat up, it looks like it was dumped rather hard. I think the engine is OK for now. I base an early assessment of the engine condition on what the engine oil looks and smells like. If the oil smells like what you would expect dirty oil to smell like, that's good. If the drained oil has a real pungent, almost repulsive smell, then the oil may have gone acidic, which can cause rust in the crankshaft bearings. In my case I think I'm OK. I filled the cylinders with a good amount of PB Blaster and 2 cycle oil, then cycled the pistons with the kickstarter...slowly. Another trick I do with long standing old CA160 (and CA95) engines is after the draining of the old oil, I refill the crankcase to the top with inexpensive regular motor oil (any weight..any kind..price rules) and cycle the motor again with the kick starter. I drain off the whole load of oil and check for any bits or aluminum. Again in my case, I think I'm OK. Before removing the motor I loosened the side cover screws with my hand impact screwdriver.

The wiring harness is brittle. I had to cut the wires as there was no way to pull the connectors apart. I have a spare wiring harness that will work. This build will be a little easier. A few months ago I bought a rechargable impact wrench and it was a great help with long rusted bolts.
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM

I've found my Dewalt impact driver to be an excellent help as well.
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:40 PM

The bike is almost 100% disassembled. The side covers are off the engine and my inspection scope/camera shows no noticable damage in the crankcase or what I can see in the cylinders. The rear axle nut had to be cut off and there is much rust. Nothing that can't be removed by chemistry and/or sandblasting.

I bought the missing body parts except the lower chain case. I forgot to try to fit my extra complete CA95 chain case. I know that you cannot mix n match ca95 and CA160 chain cases. In the meantime I will wait until a lower chain case for the CA160 comes up on eBay. I did salvage the original thin whitewall front tire. I will offer it up to the forum before listing it on eBay. It would be good for show but not a daily driver.
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Still degreasing the engine. The engine side covers, starter and clutch basket and diske have been removed. I may have to install the side covers and plug the ports and have it power washed. 30 years of sitting has some dirt/grease caked on the case hard.

The metal parts will go th the sandblaster soon. One thing I plan to do for this build, unlike any build in the past is to install new multiple wire haness plugs. I want to avoid questioning the electrical connections should the bike not start....
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM

Finally have all of the missing sheetmetal parts. Found the handlebars and the rare carb cover. I still have to get to the sandblaster. I need to buy some two part automotive primer to prime the parts as soon as the parts return. I may also have to phosphate the bare metal before painting as rust season here in the south is in the summer..
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Been collecting more parts. I am going to do this build a little different than the others.

I had a change of heart about painting before assembling. I plan to reassemble the bike as is, with the exception of cleaning, lubricating and making sure the bike is mechanically sound. This way I can make all of the adjustments and repairs and not have to worry about the paint. The tires, tubes and rim strips are on order. The starter motor which was really corroded was cleaned up and put back together. I'm not sure if it's going to work. If not, I will get one off of ebay. I also found a set (actually I bought 3 sets) of Buco Twinmaster saddlebags with the hangers. I plan to wire them up along with turn signals.

I plan to try a couple of biker experiments.

I am building drag handlebars. Using new bars with salvaged handlebar ends from the original damaged set. Then building the controls.

I have a ca95 chain guard. I bought a ca95 swing arm and I will try to retro fit the guard. Not sure I wil be able to do this. I should start having pics within a couple of weeks.
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Here is a shot of the bike as it sits today 5-1-2012

This build is going to be a long one as the bike needs much work. I will build it on the bench as far as I can go. More pics to come.
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:29 AM

5-5-2012

One of the most rarest of parts is a chain guard for the CA160. The fact is that the CA95 chain guard may not fit the 160. For sure a CA95 top chain guard will not match a CA160 bottom chain guard. The pic below is the answer.

I installed a late model CA95 swing arm and a CA95 chain guard on my CA160 and it fits perfect. Also in the pic is a CA95 fender brace that I will mount turn signals on.
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Wish I'd have heard your troubles I've got one you could have had. But as smart as you are you've got it figured out-