FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-10-2015, 05:37 PM

My frame is a 1964. The tank that came on the bike (which is fine except for a hole in welding up) and the frame has the four mounting points. It has the petcock on the left also. The panels have the T on top and fit the same emblems as the ebay tank panel with the T on the bottom.

The ebay tank has original 150 emblems. The knee pads and that look exactly like my late ones with the T on top. It has the slide mounts up front though. I wonder if pegs stuck out of the frame on those models to put the slide bushings on or if they plugged into the frame holes?

Unfortunately, Sam will be out of the loop. He had a seizure recently in relation to his accident injuries. He said the doctors told him to stay off the electronics/computers as it may be exacerbating his injury.

Last edited by Roberd42; 01-10-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Unread 01-10-2015, 06:25 PM

No Longer Available

Last edited by Spokes; 11-16-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Unread 01-10-2015, 07:46 PM

That's a sexy 160 chip! That's a good idea to save a tank and repurpose it. I'm going to clean this tank up to sell it to recoup part of what I spent on it. I'd like to be able to list what it was used on. It was $70 shipped. I see the emblems and petcocks alone go for that much. This tank came with the side panels, knee pads, emblems, and petcock in rebuildable condition.

Sam posted that on facebook earlier this week and said he would be taking an Internet hiatus and wasn't intending on being rude by not being active.
Unread 01-11-2015, 02:12 AM

No Longer Available

Last edited by Spokes; 11-16-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Unread 01-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Regarding the tank mounts: I have two '64 CA95s. The first '64 with VIN ending in 00422 has two rear bottom mounts and slots in the front to slide onto 30mm OD bushings on the front frame channel. The second '64 with later VIN ending in 05112 has the four bottom mounts. I have pics of two all original '63s that have the two bottom mounts. A good friend has a '65 which has the four bottom mounts. Another good friend had a '62 with the four bottom mounts. My '60 and '61 both have the 4 bottom mounts.

All eight bikes described above are to the best of my knowledge original unmolested bikes. Based on my research, I believe that Honda introduced the "two bottom mount" tanks when they came out with the new tank design in '63, and then went back to the "four bottom mount" tanks early during the '64 model run. I do not know why they went back to the early design with 4 bottom mounts, as the '63 / '64 front-bushing design would seem to have been superior and is still being used on motorcycles today.
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Frappy, were the frames different to hold the front slide bushings? Or did the bushings insert into one of the frame holes? Did the slide on frames still have the front mount brackets? I'd like to see a picture of that style frame if you get a chance. The ca200 and 110 had a similar set up but they had frame pegs that the bushings pressed onto. I would think the 95 frames would all be the same.
Unread 01-18-2015, 08:06 PM

Roberd, Finally got around to partially removing my tank and snapping a pic of the '63/'64 slide-on tank mount on my low-VIN '64. As you can see, it has the "pegs" for the rubber bushings and the other style front mount brackets are not there.
Regards - Dane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63-4_TankMount-2.jpg (133.2 KB, 9 views)
Unread 01-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks Dane! I can't believe they made frames without the pegs, then with but without the bracket, then back to the original style. Seems like a nightmare for tooling/stamping, parts, ect. I was wondering if there were provisions in my frame for that set up that I could just weld the pegs to. Looks like it would be a lot of work. Interesting none the less!
Unread 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Well, I finally found a reasonable paint shop to work on my tank and front fender. Next I will fix up the LED headlight ( I think im going to use a grommet from harbor freight and squeeze it in there flush as possible. Hopefully then I have room for the heatsink )

The tank repair came out horribly. I brazed on it and the braze kept cooling and cracking again. Ended up a 2 inch crack having a 4x4 bronze patch which disfigured the interior channel of the tank slightly. Turns out, Spokes, that I may need those two spare mounts. I may swap the other tank to the post style like you did on the 160. Depends how it looks on the bike after paint.

Another issue I have is on the front fork. I found my fork squeak. Turns out there was a metal grommet missing up top of the left (Squeaky) fork spring. I sourced a replacement and tried to install the arm into the fork tube. Someone left out the grommet, then overtorqued the fender bolt. It squeezed the tube just slightly so that now, the arm wont line up or fit with the holes without the grommet removed. I can get a bolt up in there with a magnet, thinking of using some kind of puller to open the tube back up slightly. Any ideas there?

I could always run it without the grommet and deal with the squeak, or replace the front forks (more $ on paint and parts)...
Unread 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Also, I pulled the fork hole plugs to replace them. Every set on ebay has a post for a hole that is larger than mine. Maybe i have an early fork ? Anyone else notice smaller or larger holes? I sliced up the plug post with an xacto knife and tapped them in with a rubber hammer. I noticed some metal plugs on ebay for an early ca95. I may ask him to measure the post size.
Unread 08-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Well I got her on the road the past few days. Finally got items back from paint (tank side covers need to be repainted, I swear it's hard to find a good paint shop). Thanks to spokes for the headlight lens, put it in today and it fits great, perfect.

I have a front end issue. It has a wobble feeling, like the front wheel is walking. Went back and torqued the front axle and suspension components to book numbers. It helped but still feels squirrelly almost like a speed wobble that gets better with more speed. The tires I have are too small, scooter tires of some sort, i can't remember the size at the moment. I'm not sure if that's the issue. It has all of the components on the front wheel, collars and whatnot according to the diagram. Anyone dealt with this before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (205.7 KB, 9 views)
Unread 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM

No Longer Available

Last edited by Spokes; 11-16-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Unread 08-06-2015, 07:42 PM

The tires are 2.50 not 3.00. I think that may be the culprit. I cleaned the forks and fessed new sleeves in the uppers with a rubber hammer. All felt tight. I'm also going to check the steering head torque. The bearings spun smoothly and there wasn't any play. The aspect ratio on the 2.50 tires looks goofy and I think the tires almost look pointed on the wider rim. I think it's messing with the geometry some way. It indicates over 60 mph and is spinning out super high rpm with the smaller tires. I'm going to get the right size tires mounted and balanced and see if that fixes it.
Unread 08-07-2015, 08:17 AM

What Spokes suggested are great recommendations. It seems that you already torqued all of the fasteners in the front end, correct? In addition, I was going to suggest you check the steering head torque/free-play and ask you about the condition of the all the shock pivots/bushing, but it sounds like you've already gone (or will be going) there. Grabbing at straws here, but are all your spokes tight? Only other things I can think of that could be causing the issue you describe is if the tire pressure is off or if the forks are bent. I can't comment on the tire-sizing issue, but if the tire has a straight-grooved tread (i.e., treads that run in a straight line around the circumference of the tire, that can cause a wandering type feeling, especially on grooved pavement surfaces. Keep us posted!
Unread 08-07-2015, 05:36 PM

No Longer Available

Last edited by Spokes; 11-16-2015 at 03:42 PM.