FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Default Trouble viewing Jetblack's posts?

Anyone else having trouble trying to read some of his posts? I really to get at his info in the 6v to 12v tutorial. It just replaces his posts with the word "done"
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Several people in earlier posts have said the Jetblack has moved on from this forum .
Switching to 12 volts isn't a big deal . 12 volt battery , change all the bulbs to 12 volt and although the stock rectifier should work , I'd switch to a newer style rectifier like Oregon Cycles sells or make one up with Radio Shack parts .
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Oh that's weird. I wonder why his comments on that post are gone.

Anyway, do you think I could use the stock horn with 12v? It would be a shame to not use it.
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Some folks would tell you that you'll "burn up" 6 volt components by using 12 volts.
All of our bikes, whether 6 or 12 volts DC and operating properly, have a charging system that produces many volts of AC. When properly rectified (I like the Oregon Electric/RadioShaft approach) the voltage will be what it is rectified to (converted to DC), approximately 6ish or 12ish volts. The conversion isn't too hard (JBC removed his posts) but you should be aware of two different types of "loads" placed on the electrical system. These loads are "intermittent" and "constant" loads. Examples of an intermittent load might be the blinkers or starter motor. A constant load would be the headlight when on. 6 volt DC components run on 12 volts DC under constant load will burn up. Intermittent loads like the starter can be run for brief periods without extensive harm. Bulbs will not survive. The Horn would be considered an intermittent load in my opinion and would likely survive, until it dies, for whatever reason.