FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake
Default Kick Starter Failure

When my Benly restoration was completed in September 2012, I was looking forward to never seeing the inside of the engine again. Rebuilding the engine was fun, but I have more fun riding the bike. However, after roughly 650 miles of riding, the kick starter failed to engage.

The bike started easily with the electric starter, but I was concerned that there could be metal parts loose in the crankcase. I certainly didn't want pieces of metal mixing with the transmission gears. That meant that the engine had to come apart.

I suspected that the ratchet pawl had come apart, or that the spring had broken. When I got the engine apart, it was obvious that the spring had simply come out of position. See the picture below, which shows the spring out of position (left), and after I put it back into the hole.

Before I reassemble the engine, I want to ensure that this spring stays in place. Any suggestions? Maybe a silicone-based sealer in the hole?
Unread 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Bummer about tearing the engine down for a spring. Fortunately removing the bottom half to get at the kick start shaft avoids a complete tear down.

I like JB Weld products. I would try http://www.rakuten.com/prod/j-b-weld...FVFp7AodDWcAwA

I think silicon would degrade over time in the engine.
Unread 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Bummer about tearing the engine down for a spring. Fortunately removing the bottom half to get at the kick start shaft avoids a complete tear down.

I like JB Weld products. I would try http://www.rakuten.com/prod/j-b-weld...FVFp7AodDWcAwA

I think silicon would degrade over time in the engine.
Thanks - I'll take a look at this.

I agree - just needed to remove the bottom half of the engine, which of course required the removal of the side cases, the alternator housing from the left side, the starter from the front, the clutch/oil pump from the right side, etc. So many pieces seemed to span the top/bottom cases. Oh well.
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:08 AM

I've taken the path of applying JB Weld High Temp to the kick starter ratchet pawl. I cleaned the hole with a solvent to remove oil, so this should stay in place. I suspect that this fix will keep the spring from bouncing out of place again.

Unread 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM

ByTheLake:
Did it fail while kickstarting, or did it just fail?
Steve
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:07 PM

It failed back in July of last year - I don't really remember the exact moment, but the little bike always started in 1-2 kicks. I rarely used the electric starter, but that option always worked, too.

I've never had to repeatedly kick the starter - it's been an eager engine following the rebuild/restoration.
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM

I would have safety wired it but missed the discussion....
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM

I think I prefer the electric start because swinging my foot and the kickstarter so close to my muffler just makes me nervous.
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:44 PM

And why do so many mufflers wind up with kickstarter rash? It doesn't seem like contact is even mechanically possible unless something is way out of whack?