FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 08-31-2012, 03:56 AM

Spokes, while I'm sure you've checked are are any clearance issue between those winkers and the tank?
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Yes, they clear the tank on all 5 of my builds and several adds on other bikes
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Time Stamp 9-3-2012

Got the bike started today for about 1 minute. The engine is good...after 30 years sitting. The tank and original petcock is fuel tight. I had to set the timing and rebuilt the carb. I made one assumption. I thought the float in the bowl was good. Wrong. The float was bent and dented. I tried all of my tricks and could not save it. The next entry will be made after the new float arrives.
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Someone must have stepped on it at some point. I've never seen a bad float.
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM

As soon as my new float arrives I will break apart the carb again and take a pic of the damaged float. The bikes I get have been in barns or outside in the rain and snow for decades. My guess is at some point water got into the carb and froze and thawed for years. It took every trick in my book to salvage the carb and restore it back to like new. Pic soon.
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Installed the new float and adjusted. Set the timing, Slugged some oil in the cylinders to increase the compression and then ran the bike several times around the lake.

I needed to open the side case and clean and sand the clutch plates. I also cleaned the discs. The clutch got super stiff after a short ride. I think that something was in the crankcase that glued the clutch plates...even after I cleaned everything before putting the side covers back on.

The bike runs sweet. The engine had not run in 30yrs.

Below is a pic from today. A few more parts need to go on and she will be ready for plates.
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:48 PM

9-23-2012

The bike is finished. I will install a white seat as soon as the cover is delivered. Then the last item to be installed is the tank badges.

The bike sports a CA95 swing arm & chain guard, an external CB92 throttle, a rebuilt headlight and a CA95 tank. The bars and speedometer were repaired as well.

It has come a long way since May.
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Don't forget the plastic caps on the fork. Just keep cranking 'em out Spokes, you do the nicest work...
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Ping!!!!

I thought it was going to be a happy ending...(only a postponed happy ending) For those who are following this thread, I would like to remind you that I do this for a hobby. This build was an experiment. I decided to restore the bike first and then see if the engine was any good. I figured that if the engine was bad, all I need to do was to drop the engine, which is as clean as new, and repair what ever was wrong with it. Meanwhile, the bike remains complete.

As in the thread up to now, I got the engine running using every trick I know. I ran the bike into town for some pics. Engine ran well. On the way back the engine missed fired, but kept running. Once home I ordered new spark plugs figuring that I may have ruined the plugs while trying to get the engine started.

Monday afternoon I thought I would take it to work. The engine started instantly. Out the driveway, 1st gear, 2nd gear....PING!!!!!!! Dead motor. Starter clicked...The kick starter would not budge the engine.....

The engine will be off soon and broken down. My inspection camera shows no internal damage looking from the bottom up. No loose parts or slivers in the drain oil pan. For kicks & grins, my guess is a broken piston, I will post pics soon.

These problems don't bother me. It's a hobby and as I feel about life, it's all about the journey.
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:46 AM

Another learning opportunity right? You can't take this hobby too seriously or it sucks the fun right out it.
I advise folks all of the time these are no longer your "daily drivers" for the most part and should not be anyone's sole form of transportation (some want that).

None the less, I anxiously await your post-mortem. Hit me up I have at least one good used piston in std bore if needed.

How bout we start a pool regarding the cause and split the winnings with your charity?
I say cam chain... for $5.00
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the bet idea. I'm not sure if its the cam chain. I can see with my scope thst the cam chain is tight in the crankshaft. I may know this evening what happened.
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Sure glad I did not bet. Another learning opportunity indeed.

The advance is wiped out. Since I've pulled the engine, I am going to tear down the top half to check out the cylinders and valves. It will be fun to see what everything looks like after getting this motor to run after so many years.
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Pulled the head this evening. It also appears that the engine oil never made it to the cam shaft. The index pin for the advance is bent to distortion, the cam lobes are grooved and the rocker assemblies are deeply worn.

Oddly enough, the cylinders are super clean. The pistons show lots of blow-by.

At this point I ponder saving the engine or parting it out. These decisions take some step-back-relax time.
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:05 AM

Step Back Relax Time Over.

Larzfrommars sent me the cam and rockers I needed. (Thanks!) Gasket kit, oil spinner end cap are found and ordered. I will build the motor back to health. But before I complete the job I will check the oil circulation 1st before completing assembly.
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Motor built & done. Ready to install.