FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Pesky petcock... solved maybe

Hey Guys,
I was getting my 1966 CA160 ready for Father's Day weekend and since this is a new to me bike I hadn't put fuel in the tank yet. There has been some discussion regarding JB Weld and the sediment bowl or other parts.The bowl on this petcock had been repaired in such a manner.On this bowl there was a hole in the 'bolt' area. The bowl I used on the installation was a nearly perfect bowl until I glass beaded it to clean it. It now looks more like a strainer (you'll see in the final pic).
What to do until somebody starts cranking these puppies out of billet?
My tool box never ceases to amaze me when it pukes up some little pearl I can use, like it did today. I managed to find a simple packing plug used for different sized hoses. Most of you may be familiar with CAPLUGS. I also had an Oring assortment and found one to fit as in the picture. Now the idea here is not that the oring will actually seal anything as it is being used but rather acts as a support or backing ring for the lip of the red caplug. It is the lip of the plug that will seal against the wide flat oring used as the bowl seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowlhole.jpg (327.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg JBBowl.jpg (418.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg caplug.jpg (281.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg asemmble1.jpg (419.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 06-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:02 PM

I did work the o ring down between the bowl and the plug with a small screwdriver and inserted the plug into the bowl. The depth of the caplug makes it stand just a little proud of the bowl edge and I felt this would help to push up against the bowl gasket. (Of course use all new gaskets when you can- I did rebuild the rest of the petcock with stuff I had.)
I chose to use a bit of RTV on the gasket between the petcock and tank just to fill small irregularities. Installed the petcock to the tank and let cure for about 30 minutes.
I installed the bowl to the petcock after mounting the petcock. As you can see in the pictures the bowl IS shot (a different bowl than in JB weld pics). You can also see the cup through the holes and this is after sitting with gasoline on it for a couple of hours.
Might gas eat the plastic cup? We're gonna see. But for now it holds up.
Now if we can just get Leno to run a petcock thru his little prototype machine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg installed1.jpg (382.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg installed2.jpg (374.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg assemble2.jpg (372.8 KB, 10 views)
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Day two: Two mile ride and still no leaks.
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:56 AM

Five days still working...
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

O wow that's interesting. I think it's the type of plastic that is important. There are a lot of different blends of plastic so if that little red bowl is holding up so far then you're probably good to go until the end of time. Nice cigar box.

Next thing if that didn't hold would be to coat the inside of the bowl with JB Weld and coat the outside of the bowl with wax paper or something to keep it from oozing out and getting over everything.
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Down range a few weeks and still holding....
Unread 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM

OK, we are nearly to October and the little fix still holds gas but...
I was recently in Tenn buying a bike and the seller Boo Tinker (anybody know him?) had a few extra of these fuel bowls laying around. I snatched up what he had (left him with one). Apparently he'd had some made up. If I could do for a reasonable price I'd probably run 40 or 50 of these and probably sell everyone.
So.... what would the good fellas from 4WF think a fair selling price would be?
At least for now I know my CA160 will be leak free....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2095.jpg (156.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2097.jpg (140.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2099.jpg (175.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2098.jpg (151.6 KB, 8 views)
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM

You should get about $30.00 each IMO.
Unread 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM

Yeah, That's what I paid and thought it reasonable.
I am mad at myself though...Installed a fresh engine, nice fasteners, new paint,etc. But on a previously not leaking tank, begin to fuel for first start up and gas is pouring out of everywhere on the petcock except the bowl, right on my fresh paint. Rookie mistake (we need sticky list of those). Pulled the tank rebuild the petcock (it won't last much longer the body seems warped) and test the tank OFF OF THE BIKE. I know I read somewhere Spokes does that , but he forgot to remind me today. Only a couple of small paint blemishes on the right side cover- not too big of a deal. I'll paint my other one and swap it some OTHER day after its running/driving again.
Another good learning day.
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM

Is the petcock body is warped or the petcock mounting at the tank surface bad. LMK. I have an adapter/with a Harley petcock that's new and just sitting in the shop. IM me for a swap offer....