FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Talking Just Picked Up a 1968 CA160

Hi all,
Just picked up a 1968? CA 160. The title says original date of issue is 04-18-68 so im guessing its a 68 until i get the frame cleaned up a bit. Im new to the hobby and this will be my first resto of anything. Im excited to get my hands dirty and learn. From what ive seen so far this seems like the best forum for the vintage hondas.

I bought the bike completley torn down except for the motor that has been taken apart and completeley rebuilt. The seller gave me all the parts in a couple boxes and told me that everything is there. Im keeping my fingers crossed that he is right. I got the original title for the bike, a couple old registration and insurance papers i guess from the original owner/s. Looks like it was a 2 owner bike.

ill post some pics up as soon as can figure out how.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:00 AM

Cool. Below is a pic of a 68 Honda CA160 I built a couple of years ago. Welcome!
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:13 AM

Smile

Welcome to the group ! Lots of info and more than enough knowledge among the members to give you a hand if you need it .
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Cool. Below is a pic of a 68 Honda CA160 I built a couple of years ago. Welcome!
wow beautiful bike. I hope mine will look as good when im done with it. Thanks for the inspiration. ill look at your bike and build as my reference. do you have a play by play of a resto by any chance. would love to you it as a reference.

Last edited by jspeedyjj; 02-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
Welcome to the group ! Lots of info and more than enough knowledge among the members to give you a hand if you need it .
Thanks Kartgreen, im really excited to get started. I think this forum is what gave me the inspiration to take on a build/resto project. Im sure ill be taking lots of advantage of everyones knowledge on the forum. Thanks again.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Date: 2-14-13
Just took some pics of the frame, motor, wheels, and took parts out of boxes that would need to be painted. Let me know if you see anything missing. I think for now its one of the covers not sure if its the battery cover or??. Everything seems to be in great condition but its still dirty so well see. Im going to have to get a manual for the bike and possibly clymers so i can identify parts that dont look familar. Im going to put all the pics thus far in the album so feel free to take a look.

All the advice is welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4881.jpg (210.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4888.jpg (230.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4892.jpg (245.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4893.jpg (309.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.jpg (183.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by jspeedyjj; 02-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM

It looks like the battery side cover is missing. They are available in plastic(new & used) and metal (used). Both can be painted. Your lucky to have a complete chain guard.
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
It looks like the battery side cover is missing. They are available in plastic(new & used) and metal (used). Both can be painted. Your lucky to have a complete chain guard.
Thanks Spokes, ill have to look for one. The seller told me if there were parts missing to call him as he probably has them. Im trying to get an inventory of missing parts before i give him a call. So far i know i need the both emblems and now the battery cover. How much should a paint job be for one of these bikes??

From what ive read in other posts the chain guard can be a pain to find so im very happy when i saw it complete and in pretty good shape.

Last edited by jspeedyjj; 02-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:20 PM

The paint job cost varies. It's best to get an estimate. I do all of my own work and the cost of materials runs about $250-$300.

Although, I do take on the worst of the worst bikes as a challenge.
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:27 AM

I got an estimate yesterday for 250 but i thought that was very low. Ill have to call a couple other people.

do you know were i can get a parts and service manual? ive been searching and cant find one anywere i found one for the ca95. I realized from previous posts that you like the bucket cases/ the worst of the worst. Im not not advanced yet but hopefully one day.

Last edited by jspeedyjj; 02-16-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:09 AM

Just found a cheap battery from apex. Heres the link.. it says it compatable with the ca160 and its only 12.00 plus shipping.

http://www.apexbattery.com/honda-ca1...batteries.html
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:14 AM

I get the almost exact fit battery from this seller on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-Wisc...60969948079%26

This seller also has a good selection of replacement parts for the old Honda's.

The parts lists and manuals may be found on ebay, or perhaps another member has a link for a download. I sold my copies a couple of bikes ago and all I have left is a microfische parts list.

Check my albums under one of my CA160 titles. I have some copies of CA160 parts and a partial owners manual.
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM

thanks ill check him out. Is the apex battery not good or not a good fit? I looked at your albums before i got the bike and printed the pages out. Ill have to ask around and maybe ill get lucky for the link. Im on a limited budget and 30 dollars for clymers is 30 less i would have to spend on the bike.
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I highly recommend the original style one. Looks way better and you won't have to modify the cables ends. I would like to do a cranking test with both batteries just for fun. But I haven't brought myself to buy an SLA for any of my bikes. The only ones that I have seen work comparably are more money.
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Just found another piece i need. I think its the engine chain cover? i also need both exhaust. mine have small holes in the bottom. ill try to get some pics up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4899.jpg (195.1 KB, 4 views)