FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Seat cover removal

I am restoring my 69 CA160 and have been lurking on the forum for some time learning as I go. I have a need for advice as I seem to be stumped on the simpliest of items. The parts manual does not seem to even identify the chrome strip.
In removing the original seat cover I find that the 6mm nuts holding the chrome strip on do not want to come off. I have gotten only one of them off and from the looks of it the bolt head sits in a channel on the inside of the strip. The entire bolt turn with the nut. My first thought is to apply vice grips to the strip to hold the bolt in place, but I don't want to damage the strip. I see others have successfully mastered this task and am in need of guidance before I do irrepairable harm to either my ego or the strip. Any trick of the trade would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:09 PM

The chrome strip is nearly impossible to find. I had to use chrome trim with an adhesive strip. The only thing you can do with those tiny nasty screws is use your dremmel with a cutoff disk. But use the disk to grind down rather than cut. I'm pretty sure you can use 4mm machine head screws to replace them.
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Most of the screws on my trim strip just snapped off when I tried removing. I ended up having the strip rechromed and using 4mm screws to replace them. Since the heads aren't quite the right diameter it can be tricky to get them to sit correctly and not slip out, but they will work.
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

That makes sense as I am recovering the seat and can replace the bolts. Thanks for the info.