FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 03-03-2010, 05:33 AM

I'd make sure you have power before you look at the coils. A light somewhere should turn on. I would fix that fuse bypass,
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM

no lights turn on on my ct70 and it has power and runs, I think the lights are blown on the cl70 so even if it had power they would not turn on. I dropped the motor out today to gain acess to the ignition coil and condensor and swap them out...then I plan to take another harness and rewire it by the diagram and give it another try. no sense fixing the fuse bypass yet, a fuse is just another thing to get in the way and cause a problem now. later on it will be a good thing to have.
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM

a bit of an update, I tested my ignition coil and it was bad, I replaced it with one I tesed that sparked. I had high hopes that I had found and fixed the problem but after wiring it all up it would not spark. I am now looking at corroded wire terminals as a source of the problem.

process of elemination starting with stuff that is known to be good

new battery
bypassed fuse (fuse cant be the problem)
new points gapped correctly
ignition coil is tested and sparks when directly hooked to the battery.
new plug

what could still be wrong-

harness (corroded terminals)
rectifier (I have 2 not sure how to test either)
stator coils (no clue how to test)
ignition switch (planning to bypass it)

I also noticed the (green) ground wire for the bike running to a very rusty ground point on the tailight bracket. could this cause no spark?
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Any luck getting the light's to work?

I acquired a 72, runs and the horn works, but none of the lights work.

The previous owner tried messing with the wireing, but must have given up. So i'm going to rewire it myself. Wish me luck!
Unread 05-09-2010, 11:38 AM

no lights yet. have not gotten a chance to work on her in a while. I picked up a new NOS OEM harness for the bike for $50 shipped on ebay and I hope that fixes most of it.

good luck on your build, post up pics!
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Default update

Any luck with your rewiring job?

I was also lucky enough to get an oem wiring harness. Made my life much simpler, everthing is working now! wooohoo!

Hope yours is going well, any progress?
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Congrats

Yep, I did just about the same thing. I also found a good deal on an OEM harness and went to work reconnecting and testing with the voltmeter. The end result for me among the possible faulty wiring was a blown ignition coil. once replaced the bike roared to life...hits 50mph effortlessly. Carburetor went shortly after and had to replace that, but it runs so much smoother with a new carb it was a worthy investment and cheap reliability upgrade. Unfortunately
beyond the engine running and bike driving nice...nothing else works. I have a feeling almost all the bulbs are blown. Right now i am tackling putting on new spokes and tires. I also cleaned the rust out of the tank, installed new hose, a new petcock and inline filter.

Last edited by jfp350; 12-30-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Sounds like you have been busy!
I know what you mean about the bulbs, i couldn't get my blinkers to flash until i replaced the indicator bulb in the speedo. One faulty bulb in the link screws up the whole operation. Reminds me of the old christmas light's, where one bulb would burnout and the whole strand would go out. Leaving you to find the blown bulb among the many.
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Any luck getting the wheels back on the bike? I'm curious which tires you chose. I need tires on mine before I start using it again. If you could get a picture or two that would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM

yep got the front wheel back together with the new rubber. unfortunately the rear was so rusty I had to cut the spokes out (all at once on accident) and have no clue where to start with replacing those. on the front I replaced the spokes 1 by 1.

here is a picture of completed front wheel and tire

image attach inst working here is the link http://img704.imageshack.us/i/1040076.jpg/

got them from motorcycle superstore with a coupon....very cheap http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oped-Tire.aspx

Last edited by jfp350; 02-21-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Admin

Ah very nice! I'm going to have to order a pair of these for mine. My old tires aren't very round anymore. What a deal too.

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM

I went through the exact same mess with mine, previous owner hooked up 12v battery etc... I had to replace the condensor and coil. I also had to replace EVERY bulb on the bike because they were all blown. I also had to replace the signal stat. Just a heads up...All your bulbs have to be good in order for the lights to function correctly, such as the blinkers actually blinking. That includes the indicator bulbs as well. I also purchased the michelin gazel tires and they are great tires, especially for the price.

Last edited by deermagnet; 02-23-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Admin

Heh yeah it's amazing how people just assume everything on wheels is 12V!! These batteries on these bikes are SUPER small. I'm getting a little black led acid battery next time. I can't wait to put new tires on my old CL.
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:11 PM

hi the front wheel looks great... can you please post a link for new spokes for my cl70.. thanks will

Last edited by will1972rupp1; 09-29-2011 at 10:13 PM.