FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM

Default 2014 Frame Off Restoration

Hi Folks,
I'm new here and this is my first post. My name is Doug and I just bought a Benly 150 a couple weeks ago to restore.
I've not owned a motorcycle before but always wanted a classic. So I picked up this project for $400. I intend to restore it, get my license and ride it as a sunny day cruiser.
Having restored a 68 Firebird from a shell, I realize what I'm getting into. This will cost much more than buying something already restored and I'll blow my budget by 300%.

It's a hobby and I'm just here to have fun.

I'll post progress pictures and surly have questions. I've already tapped into the wealth of information you all have posted previously and thank you for it.

The bike has sat in a barn in Nebraska since 1974. The wheels were sunken in the dirt as it hadn't been moved or started in 40 years. It has bumps and bruises and I'll be replacing some body parts with less dinged ones.
I've since located a lot of parts on ebay, still needing a right side carb cover. Engine has been hot tanked and bored .25 over. New rings and pistons are here but I'll be needing a valve job before reassembling head.
Next week it's off to the chrome shop to have a dozen parts re-plated. Once the rest of the body parts arrive, it'll be off to the media blaster.

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for all the great information posted on this forum.
Doug

Brought her home on Dec 30th.

All the wiring has been chewed by mice. Will need a new harness along with other electrical parts. Might need a new stator since the rodents chewed down so far on the wiring.

After getting the engine back from having it cleaned, it appears this could use a valve job. New valves ordered and back to the shop next week.

We'll see how bad the rust is once it comes back from the media blaster.
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Hi Doug, and welcome aboard. Truly glad to see another restoration starting. It's been quiet here in the forum, so we're due for a new project.

Thanks for posting the nice clear pictures, too. Looks like a solid foundation for a restoration.

I see the wheel rims have seen better days - pretty typical for old wheels, though. Replacements are available.

Looking forward to following your progress. Don't hesitate to post any questions.

Kevin
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Hi Kevin,
Yes, those rims don't look like they will polish out. You can sort of make out how deep they sat in the dirt all those years.
Love the documentation on your restoration, it's been very helpful seeing what you did, thank you.
Looks like ebay has a few rims in Thailand that cost less than the shipping.
If anyone has recommendations on buying rims here in the states at the same or slightly higher price, please post away with your recommendations. Will also be looking for some nice whitewalls.
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:18 PM

I bought these rims for my last build
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-rim-1-...abd645&vxp=mtr
The original rims are 16 x 1.85. The rims above are 1.60 but you can't tell the difference,

There was one slight modification. The spoke holes had to be slightly reamed out. So if your have a reamer, or know a shop that does, these rims worked well for me.
Below is a pic of the bike with the Yamaha rims. This bike was a rusty white bike like yours.

Last edited by Spokes; 01-18-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM

Welcome to the group! Kevin is right we need a new project here to follow on the board...your is definitely a project...perfect!
looking forward to more pics.
Larz
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi Doug welcome aboard! If you need any whacky parts just give us a shout here in your thread and you might get a response from one of us if we have a spare. Are you going with the white color? And what does the speedo read for miles travelled on that bike? That front sprocket sure has seen some miles so I'm curious what it has on the clock.
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the guidance spokes, I'm glad you mentioned that front sprocket wear, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.
Guess I'll be looking for one of those in the future.

As for painting, leaning towards White as it's original color, but I sure like the look of those Red ones.

Doesn't seem like a lot of miles but I think it was rode hard.

Unread 01-21-2014, 04:46 PM

I see you've already figured your speedometer out...
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
I see you've already figured your speedometer out...
Yeah, I'm suspecting that Doug may have sold used cars in the past.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Yeah, I'm suspecting that Doug may have sold used cars in the past.

Which reminds the ignition needs a little attention...
now if it will just go back together.
Think there is enough there to have a new key made?

Unread 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM

Send this guy the numbers found on the outside of the tumbler. He sent me keys for CA95 ignition switches in the past.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-nos-ig...330e84&vxp=mtr
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Send this guy the numbers found on the outside of the tumbler. He sent me keys for CA95 ignition switches in the past.
DONE! Thankz, just what I needed.
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
For the original numbered key to work, will all those little pieces need to go back together in the same sequence they were originally in?
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
For the original numbered key to work, will all those little pieces need to go back together in the same sequence they were originally in?
Yes sir, they do.
The four little tumbler pins shown below the lock cylinder vary in length and sit directly on the key cuts..

When the key is in place they should all be level.

Fortunately I had the broken off key to confirm their original positions.

The eight tiny ones (all the same size) fit in two spring loaded rows within the outer cylinder and are a real challenge when sliding the lock cylinder in place.
It was helpful using bearing grease to hold the parts in place and an Exacto blade to guide the cylinder in.
Spokes recommendation on where to get a key was great... the guy actually had the same numbered key which will be here next week.
Will see if this went back together the right way.
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
the guy actually had the same numbered key which will be here next week.
You did by more than one right????
I always try for at least two keys if/when I get/copy them. At least I have a locksmith buddy who can lose those small parts for me
L