FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM

Default 74 cl125s1 oil leak

i had my cl125 worked on by someone that was out of work and now i have an oil leak?
>
its on the left side case, i put new tires on the bike and i'm thinking he had to remove the case to get to the chain cause it wasn't leaking before the tire change
>
anyway here's my question = do i have to drain the oil before i remove the case to change the two O rings items 13 & 14? oh when i remove the case is there going to be any surprises that i'll need to deal with or is it straight forward pull replace O rings and bolt back up
>
i ordered the paint for the tank after having the tank repaired and sealed for leaks and some lite rust last thing left 2 do
>
lets c now = 2 new tires, rebuilt both front forks, nos mirrors, side covers & cables and when the tanks done its going to my grandson
>
thanks 4 your help and have a HondaFull Day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil leak.jpg (101.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg cl125 l case.jpg (83.9 KB, 8 views)
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM

I am going to take a poke at this one.

The "o" ring that is indicated may not be the leak. I doubt if that seal was disturbed when changing the wheel

My guess would be that the sproket shaft seal may be leaking. The oil is simply migrating to the lowest point.

But before doing anything, wait a while. It could be just excess chain oil and the drip will just dry up.
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:21 PM

thanks for your reply Spokes
>
sprocket shaft seal? where is that rascal on the schematic???
>
umm well u know about 110% more than I so i'll research to see if i can locate that item
>
thanks again, lou
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi Lou. I would recommend getting your engine SUPER clean and looking for the oil leak a little harder. You can just take the sprocket cover off (take the chain and sprocket off - with simple tools) and blast it clean with your favorite cleaning method and then take it out for a ride. And of course check your shifter seal at the same time. You probably won't have to drop your oil to change these out as you can just stab them with a pick or a sharp screwdriver and pop them out usually. If I was using the bike to ride around I would just order a Honda oil seal kit and change them all at the same time. That's just how I like to do things... once and never again. Plus buying one oil seal is a pain in the butt. Buying a kit is easier usually.

Let us know which one you find is the perpetrator!
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks for your help Smithers!
>
i removed the sprocket cover, cleaned off the oil and checked the for leaks again. the sprocket gear didn't seem to be leaking ( no oil found ) as well as the shifter seal? I did buy a oil seal kit for the bike as you suggested but as it turns out i bought the wrong year ( cl125a ) not a cl125s1. I can see on the schematic where the shifter seal goes and items 13 & 14 ( these items i bought are correct ) but as to the where a bouts of the other seals????
>
here's some more pics still showing the leaks?
>
thanks and have a Hondafull Day
>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil drip on bolt with arrows.jpg (72.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd oil drip??.jpg (52.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg seal see arrows.jpg (44.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sprocket.jpg (106.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg cl125 l case copy.jpg (82.8 KB, 1 views)
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Ok. Clean off all of the oil drips. Clean the area with dish soap, pine sol or any good detergent and wipe the area and let dry.

Buy some inexpensive store brand spray foot powder. Coat the area in question. Watch for trails.

Baby powder was an old trick in the dark ages to determine oil leaks in engines, so I figure spray powder for the small motor.

That should tell the tale.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Time to take that sprocket side engine cover off and dig deeper! I think you might be having to pull that magneto off the crank to get to the next seal.