FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Default New head?

My CA95 runs and has good compression, but burns oil.

Would I be correct in assuming it's a valve guide issue?

The head has a few broken fins, so it does have me thinking... is there anyone that offers a good head, all fixed up?

Currently finishing up another project, but wanted to get at least some options on the back burner.

Last edited by comp_wiz101; 05-08-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Unread 05-29-2014, 11:36 PM

I'd also suspect valve guides or possibly stuck/worn oil ring(s). I believe the general rule is that worn Valve guides will smoke under accelleration and worn Rings smoke under deceleration. I think in both situations the spark plugs will show fowling with with oil, but plugs will fowl more quickly with worn valve guides. (Someone more knowledgeable than me, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Unread 05-30-2014, 02:51 AM

In his book on Honda Dream and Super Hawk restoration Bill Silver writes about problems with the iron "skull" that is pressed into the aluminum head and forms the top of the combustion chamber and contains the valve seats and spark plug hole.. He mentions that if it loosens it can lead to excessive oil consumption. The Benly heads are built in the same manner. Does anybody have experience with this problem?