FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 01-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Adaptronic Hardware Setup

The more I play around with the Adaptronic the more I like it. I'm no expert with standalone ECU's by any means but I learn fast and I like to think I have a pretty decent grasp of the different variables that influence how an engine operates. I would like to just throw out some of my thoughts and experiences while I learn the Adaptronic software and protocol.

The hardest thing to do when you are nearly done hooking up all the connections is to actually read the installation manual on how the software operates. My advice to you over eager installers is to just find some alone time to kick back with a beer or some wine, turn off the cell phone and put on some non-violent music so that you won't be distracted while learning the literature. I even started to think I could just hook up the ECU, get confirmation that the serial connection had been established, upload a map and start the engine up. But there is just no way you can do this.

YOU MUST READ the installation guide!!

Once you start it's not that hard to finish it. You would think that the guide would tell you how to begin the setup process in the beginning but it doesn't! It begins by explaining the functions of the ECU and how the e420c computer operates at different temperatures and stuff. You don't start getting the tips to begin tuning till something like page 60 out of the 100 pages you have available to read. Just read the thing. I know, it's torture but you can do it. I spent a couple hours checking out the software on my laptop while I read the Installation PDF on my desktop computer.

Unread 01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Admin

I was losing my mind for a moment in all the technical details. I first had to double check that I had my injectors wired correctly... I didn't. So I got confirmation from my buddy Cobber on the correct way to pair the injectors to splice them to the Adaptronic wires. Here is a picture that I modified to show EXACTLY the numbering sequence of all 8 cylinders and how the injectors should be paired up. And to take it a step further I colored the lines the proper color of the wire from the Adaptronic harness. So the WHITE like that connects the two injectors 6 & 1 indicates that the two injector signal wires need to be connected to the WHITE wire on the Adaptronic harness. Nice and simple. Can't go wrong!

Unread 01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Admin

I hope that everyone who has wired their e420c ECU took the time to wire the grounds correctly. Did you wonder why there are like 5 different grounds? Well they are sensitive in the way that they want a grounding signal from the engine block - NOT the firewall. So take care in connecting these grounds to the engine. I put a ground distribution block on the firewall that is fed a ground from the battery but a few of the posts are fed a ground signal from the engine itself for the Adaptronic.

Engine grounding on the left and battery grounding on the right side of this distribution block.

Here is a picture showing my laptop connected to the e420c ECU while I try and get the dumb Belkin f5u409 serial to USB adapter to work. Apparently there is no way to get that adapter to work with Windows 7 64-bit. I found the actual manufacture drivers from Prolific and it still wouldn't work. If your Belkin adapter doesn't work I suggest you find another computer to use or buy another hard drive to load a copy of Vista or XP onto. Maybe one day Microsoft will release some generic drivers to recognize this product but I'm not holding my breath. I put in my other hard drive with Windows XP and it recognized and installed the Belkin serial adapter without any problems.

I actually recommend using a long serial cable so that you can put the laptop on the bench instead of on the engine or in the vehicle. I eventually figured this out.
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Admin

And success! This is what you want to see happening when you turn on your WARI software and watch it start up. Of course the Adaptronic ECU has to be powered on and your serial connection must be working. I was able to find out which COM port my serial adapter was using. Once properly installed you should be able to view your serial device in the device manager and find which com port it's using from it's properties. Mine was COM port 8 so once I opened the program I selected "Setup Serial Port" > hit the COM 8 and away it went initializing the ECU.

From here on out I'll cover my setting up of the software in the next thread. I hope this helps some people out there.
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Admin

I've come to learn a LOT about setting up the software so I'll be adding more info sometime soon. Also another annoying thing is that the Adaptronic Forum isn't working and that's the main place to learn and discuss all of their products! I just upgraded to the new 3.0 firmware and software and wanted to talk about it on their forum but for the past couple days it won't let anyone log in. Not good!