FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:46 AM

Great! I did not know that!
Not sure about the motor, I'll check the miles this morning, if that's the original speedo...
Thanks!
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Just wanted to post that I drained to oil today, after putting a measured 800 ml in it and running it 5 minutes maybe total, I only got 750 ml out.... I let it drain overnight too.
So there is a definite oil burning issue...

I hope to take the engine off this weekend.

I have my eyes on a '76 Honda 250 XL.... My mom still has her XL and rides it....
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Engine open!

Well, I grabbed the bull by the horns today and decided to open the engine and get to the bottom of it...

Engine is off the bike and on the workbench, head removed, cam chain open, cylinders off, pistons off.

Now, I'm not an expert but the pistons don't look too good to me. Although the rings were clean and free, one piston has bad scoring on one side, the other one show signs of burnt oil on the side.

The tops of the piston look OK, with only one small arrow to indicate the front, no number, should I safely assume that they are standard size then?

The cylinder walls are smooth to the touch without any scoring. Can I then get new standard piston and rings and install them as is or it is recommended if not mandatory that I go 0.25 over size and have the cylinders bored to accommodate them?

I posted some pictures of them in my profile. Link is here: http://www.fourwheelforum.com/album.php?albumid=29
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Fuel petcock

On an unrelated item, I visited a guy's upholstery shop today and found a 305 Dream in parts in the back of the shop. He has a running 305 and the other was a parts bike. I needed the fuel petcock for mine so he just gave it to me. It even came with an OEM gasket kit.

Only problems are: impossible to unscrew the 3 screws that hold it to the tank, and the bottom cup of the petcock is split on about 1 inch around the bottom part of the cup. Are those cups fairly easy to find? How about soldering them? Anyone ever done that?

Thanks!
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Mileage

The odometer reads 14,445. I have reasons to believe that the odo is the original....
Time for a top end job...
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:15 AM

Time for a .25mm rebore. The pistons allthough standard don't look like stock Honda ones. They look higher compression than the C95 but nothing like all the CA95 pistons that I have or have seen. (strange)

Sam.
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:52 AM

Getting rusted petcock screws out of a rusted tank is tough. Before drilling them out try. 1.) Add some phosphoric acid solution to the inside of the tank where the screws are.(Prep & Etch (Big Box Store) or Milk Stone Remover(Tractor Supply) and let sit 24hrs. 2.) Again, soak the inside tank above the screws with PB Blaster and allow to soak a day or two. Push come to shove, drill out the screws.

The fuel bowels cannot be mended. They are made out of pot metal. Maybe filling a small hole with JB Weld as a temp fix is OK. If you apply heat they will melt like ice cream. (Been there done that)

I see the bowels on ebay all the time.
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Yes, it looks like someone already tried to weld or solder something in the bowl... I posted pictures on a new thread. The bowl is no longer the problem, the rest of the petcock is....
Thanks

.25 OS pistons with rings and writ pins are ordered (not from thailand) and are on their way. I found a shop that will to the bore once the pistons are here.

The head and valves cleaned up nicely this morning and the valves dont leak, or at least they don't appear to. I did the liquid test: with both valves closed and the plug in, head upside-down, I poured some paint thinner in the combustion chamber and waited 1 hour. Same level, no leak at the valve seats.

Waiting game has started.....
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:44 AM

Dropped off the cylinders and .25 OS pistons at the machine shop Friday, should be ready on Wednesday. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:38 AM

Motor building perhaps Let's hope you have managed to kick the smoking habit

Sam.
Unread 09-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Well. I'm still waiting for the machine shop to call me once ready...
Guess I was wrong. Taking the in-laws sailing instead....
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:16 AM

$96 later for boring the cylinders plus $75 for the piston, I am ready to reassemble!
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Disappointed...

Well, I put the engine back together today with the oversized piston and new bore, and back on the bike this afternoon.
Started right up, fine for about 2-3 seconds, then it started smoking again!... Mostly from the right side cylinder.
So, now i know that the valve guides are leaking oil as well, so another tear-down, unless someone has a better solution. Oil additive maybe?
Where can I find new valve guides? eBay or local Honda dealer?
The real pain is to deal with the timing chain. Is there a trick to closing it around the top cog?
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
It could be the valve guides that are shot. Are you sure that the motor is not overfilled with oil? Is there any mist coming out of the breather on the top of the cam cover when you rev it?

Sam.
I mentioned the valve guides and you relpied, did you not check them for wear?
Also what is your location, might help in recomending someone to renew your guides if need be?

Sam.
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:39 AM

No, no mist coming out of the breather... It is clear now, only the #2 cylinder smokes, not the other one. Even have black sludgy oil coming out of the exhaust....
I am in Sarasota, FL.
The check I did on the valves was the seat, no leak there, but not the guides, since I did not remove the springs...
Thanks