FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 03-10-2013, 04:17 PM

Default 69 CB350 snatched from the jaws of eBay

More fun...
a place for Sam's little bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda, 1969 CB350 Blue.jpg (129.4 KB, 9 views)
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Very nice. I've always liked the CB350. What are the plans for this bike?
Unread 03-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Hard to say until it gets here. This bike is way too complete to butcher so I'll preserve this one for sure. If the patina and paint are good then it will get my usual mechanical treatment and pretty much be left as is. At most the painted parts may get redone.
The bike fits my formula, 60's Honda, decent cosmetic shape, complete, and purchased right. Part of my mission is to save bikes from breakers when I can and get decent bikes in to the hands of others to enjoy the vintage bike experience. The interesting thing about this bike is that it is from the the North (Mn) and like others have suggested seems to be well taken care of and "put away" for winter months. There is very little corrosion as compared to the bikes I've been saving in the south. Additionally it has miles on it, about 15 k, so was a well used bike and should be mechanically fair to real good. Like most bikes I get involved with I can't keep it forever but will enjoy it until the next owner comes along. Could that be you Kev?
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Looks like it needs a front fender, but it still looks nice.

I think I'll have to pass, though - when I look for another project next year, I'm leaning toward a CA77.
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Yes Kev it does, which I have spare from the CL to Cafe project. The fender is the first to go.
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM

The bike arrived today and I am overall very happy. Looks like a typical "put up for the winter and never awoke again" kind of bike. Not quite a time capsule but definitely a "survivor" quality. Certainly makes me evaluate the project more closely. I'm thinkin blow of the dust and get it running...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2364a.jpg (154.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2365a.jpg (128.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2369a.jpg (143.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2372a.jpg (464.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2373a.jpg (287.2 KB, 0 views)
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Update- the bike fired up after the usual tinkering and replacing a few basic parts. Just fired it on starting fluid to see if she would fire. Like the true Survivor I thought this bike was, it fired on both barrels and sound good, if even for a second or two. Tomorrow I'll fill the carbs- borrowed from the "$500 Cafe Project" and get her on a bottle (tank is soaking now). Tomorrow I'll post video of her first good run in at least 10 years. The PO had said all along there was only spark in one cylinder (turns out right side coil was bad/replaced with on hand parts). Bike was last registered in 1987, so maybe it hasn't run in 25 or 26 years. I'll report back with more tomorrow.
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:46 AM

Excellent news - sounds like you got a good motorbike there. Looking forwards to that video. Hope it runs nice with carbs.

It's still snowing here, so I may have to defer any tinkering until July
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxAj...ature=youtu.be
You can also follow on my facebook page- Kaizen Vintage Moto.
While not evident I ran my carbs from the other bike to expedite things. I fiddled with the look of these carbs (not for this bike) by painting the bodies with Hammerite paint and Duplicolor metal finish paint in copper for the lids. While an experiment at the time they look better than I'd hoped for.
Today we fix the sidecover leak and reset on float-
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM

Smile

Sounds great for a bike that hasen't run in a least 10 years . Looks like you'll be on the road soon .
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up

I was surprised at how well it ran on my initial adjustments. I reset the float on the left carb and that has ceased overflowing and re-gasketed the left side cover. On the by, the carbs used are not the ones intended for this bike. These are from the "$500 Cafe Project". Since the engine on that bike is blacked out I wanted something different for the carbs. The bodies are painted in a Hammerite Green and the lids with Duplicolor Copper Plate Ck100. I wanted to experiment with the copper stuff and was only moderately happy. It's very hard to get a consistent coat. The Hammerite on the other hand was baked in place and easy to apply. Overall I'm not happy with the 'look' so these won't stay on any bike. One of the original carbs had a jammed throttle plate that led to a shearing of the throttle shaft on the idle adjustment side. I am waiting on the carb fairy to bring one from eBayland and stock carbs will return. Interesting that the book calls for 115 mains (jets) and my kits had 105s. I guess we'll see once rolling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2384.jpg (279.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (190.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 04-13-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

YES! That HAmmerite is my favorite. It's the strongest single stage paint there is and looks custom. My friend painted the whole lower section of his old Chevy dually with it and it looked so good. That same teal/grean color of your carb on white is smooth. He bought the Hammerite in a quart size can and rolled it on. Strong stuff.

I know two people that have both a completed 350 and one with a pile of CB350 parts that claims there are enough for nearly two bikes but at least one complete. I'll see if I can't scare up some carbs for you today.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Awesome, cause I'm still looking.
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM

Well I've gotten a bit in deep with the survivor bike. It is completely disassembled for a frame paint. Once that's done we'll mock up and decide if the tins get painted and it is no longer the Survivor Bike. That and the Green 350 has been a work out so progress has slowed on this bike a bit. That and two engine jobs a 150 and 160 for myself and a customer.