FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Default Need help with CA95 Electrical

Hey guys, brand new to this forum and even newer to owning a bike. Bought my 64 CA95 off craigslist (not running) and am trying to get it back to working order. So far I've rebuilt the carbs, re-built the petcock, replaced a few gaskets and as of this morning replaced the battery. Here's the issue...

So I attached the new battery and put in a new fuse, however the second I put the fuse in the brake light comes on despite the bike not being turned on. When I turn the key to the on position the indicator light on top of the head light turns on but head light wont turn on, horn wont work and electric starter wont work. Initially, when the old bad battery was in, I had the bike connected to my car battery and for a split second, when first connected both the horn and head light flashed on but haven't since. Additionally, I grounded the car battery directly to the starter and it did turn over. Any suggestions on what the problem might be or how to fix it?
Unread 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM

If the ingition switch was indeed off when the tail light illuminated when the battery was connected means you may have a short.

It is not unusual for the old headlights, horn and starter not to work on the vintage Honda's that have been stored for years. The extra voltage supplied by the car battery may have been just enough to breath a moments life back into the old electrical componants before their final and permenant demise.

I would pull the wiring harness out of the bike and unrap the bundle. Look for melted wires. You can find good used harnesses on ebay if you cannot make repairs. You may not have hurt the starter as the old motors can be locked up with rust and/or the brushes are gone. While your at it, pull the coil and look for any melted wax drips. If drips are found then replace the coil. These old bikes are fun to ride. The extra effort to get them going is worth it.

Tags
brakelight, electrical, headlight, starter