FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > 1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods

1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods Adaptronic, porting, air intake and more.

Unread 04-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I think supercharging is ok for HUGE engines but turbos are way more efficient and require less maintenance. I hear the TRD superchargers, among others, require that you change the oil in the gears and that they fail more often and get used up.

Then you have ruthless power with the turbos. The new Mazda-speed cars like the Protege are SOOOO fast with thier Garret 225 turbos. I cruised one of these and they are amazing for a stock vehicle. I would MUCH rather have that Turbo 2 liter than that piece of crap rotary that they threw in the RX-8. I garuantee that the Protege would whip that RX-8 in a race.

The superchaged cars might impress you with their torque right off idle but your peak hp with the turbos will pass that real quick. Plus the turbos don't use any of the engines power to turn.

Now I just have to get the A/F ratio right and figure out how to get the smog to pass h34r:
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Admin

Well I'm going for it. That's right kids I'm going to turbo my 2.7L 3RZ. I was discussing the possibility of importing the D-4D diesel that is sold in Asian, South America and South Africa. The D-4D is a brand new engine and has very very nice specifications but of course, is hard to get a hold of here in North AMerica. I think Toyota is watching how other manufactures are going to introduce their diesel models ie. the Jeep Liberty.

So my friend said that we should just throw on a turbo on my truck. So what the heck. He's helping make the header and I'll make an aluminum intake box and work on the intercooler and we'll be set. The header will be finished in another 2 nights and they look sweet already!

I'll throw the details together on my website when I can.
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Admin

Well I gave it a shot. I had my turbo, intercooler and started building my header and started thinking about the engine management system when I thought... "why spend another $1,800 for the engine control when I can easily buy a whole V8 complete system for that much?? I was looking at some examples of Supra 6cyl swaps and they seem to work well. But here is the thing, they use MORE fuel than the Lexus V8 does! That's crazy.

So here is my reasoning for using a Lexus V8 instead of a smaller turbo engine:

1. Instant PowerI would rather have more torque and be able to have more power right off the bat when you slam on the gas. It's a no brainer! Unless you are drag racing you don't need MAX hp.

2. My experience with I've driven allll sorts of cars on race tracks and have had a lot of experience driving many hours on all sorts of different engines. I think the instant torque and smooth hp will be a great power recipe for offroading. If you need instant power to lift up the front end over some woops or to roost on your buddy you NEED torque not turbo lag. Yeah you can build systems with hardly any lag but that gets expensive and lag will not ever go away. I've driven a couple of Lex v8's hard on a closed course and loved them.

3. Super power can be had in the future. People put dual T3 turbos on the Lexus LS400/1UZ-FE engine and they run great.

4. Availibility The 1UZ engine is one of the best every produced and they are abundant in wrecking yards. The Lexus cars that they come in never break! SO there is no demand for the used engines. They last forever and if it does break internally I'll just upgrade it or throw it away and get another block for like $300. Seriously these engines are just laying around in cars that have been wrecked. Other people have put these engines in Hilux (Tacoma in the US) models in other countries so it can't be that hard. I've been studying everything involved for a couple months and have parts on the way. It's a green light on this project.

5. Price Bang for the buck can't be beat here. You can buy a whole car for $1,000 - $1,500 and take everything you need out of it. For a reliable V8 system with A/C you can't beat that.
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Admin

I've been keeping my eye on a few people putting turbo power down with the 1UZ-FE. It seems to be holding the boost rather well and is dependable up until 7-8psi. That's all I would want really. I want a turbo with almost no lag so that leaves out the heavy hitting turbos. You basically need to run twin in order to feed the engine that much boost anyhow. A few people are adding some pretty big turbos to their cars so I'll be watching. h34r: