FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Tools, Machines and Shop Toys

Unread 12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Workbench = Most Useful Thing In Garage

A properly made workbench is the first thing any mechanic needs to have. A bench at the right height and made with some nice sturdy lumber is an absolute must. You simply can't buy a workbench as good as you can easily make one, no way. I don't need to go on about how nice it is to have a workbench, it's a fact that they will save your back and increase your productivity and especially your mood.

I have a really large workbench / table that was built for the purpose of assembling custom doors. This bench has a super thick work top and has a ton of space for working on things. Then a while ago I built a smaller cabinet for my large air compressor that is exactly the same height as the large bench. I lined the inside of the cabinet with sound deadening material and what a nice thing that is to have. I did this as more of a courtesy to my neighbors if anything.

Then this past weekend I was in the right place at the right time with my truck. A friend just happened to be cleaning out his garage when he yanked an old bench out. He offered it to me and I gladly accepted. I didn't realize how sturdy this bench was until we had to pick it up and put it in my truck. I was really impressed with this bench as the builder must have had some experience in the past.

Unread 12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Admin

The ol bench definitely has some life left in him. I quickly brushed the cobwebs off and went to work scraping old paint and other whacky stuff off of it. I considered sanding down the top but as long as it's nice and smooth it doesn't really matter what it looks like. I knew I was likely to put some carpet on the top of it or a steel plate for metal working. Turns out I did both.

The best part about this bench is the size is PERFECT for fitting nicely on the side of the garage inside. Then it's really sturdy and you can see that it was made heavy duty when you take a peek underneath.

You might also notive that the top is made up of really thick tongue and groove wood that was definitely not picked out of a lumber yard cut like it is. It almost looks like really thing T & G ceiling cover. Anyhow this is how you can put together a really strong bench in no time.

I've always thought about the proper way to build a bench and this is a good base design if anyone was to need some ideas.
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Admin

Now here is the best part: Check out all the crap you can store on it! It's perfect for all my engine parts. Plus I can clear off the top of it and take pictures of stuff for Ebay and stuff. An Ebay bench it is.