FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 02-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Default My name is Larz.. and I am a Honda addict

Its been a great month for me. I am trying to spool up my little version of a vintage shop. Mostly this is happening with Hondas, a relatively new experience for me, largely because I can't afford to play with Warbird airplanes, muscle cars, antique boats, hit and miss engines, etc.
Basically my whole life has been spent on the interest of transportation.
Most recently I've studied forms of quality measures and process improvement and became fascinated with the manufacturing applications and implications of these measures by the Japanese during the 60's.
By extension, Honda motorcycles are actually research.
My vintage shop, just me- Kaizen Vintage Moto is dedicated to the preservation of the vintage experience and sharing that experience, knowledge and camaraderie with others. Part of my mission is to find, improve, preserve and "re-home" bikes to folks in search of the their own "vintage experience".
That being said only to explain the number of bikes that seem to come my way- I am seeking them out.
Most recently I landed a Honda icon ( for me)- a 1965 Honda Cb450 K0 "Black Bomber". Apparently an older attempt at a mild custom (chrome in places it doesn't belong) it still seems rather complete. One of the main attractions was the bike came with just about everything David Silver Spares sells for the bike including the very nice quality exhaust mufflers.
All in all about a grand in receipted parts. I expect this one to be a keeper for a while and there are many projects ahead of it(including paying projects). What can I say _ I love Toaster Panels of all shapes and sizes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2224.jpg (270.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2230.jpg (292.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2243.jpg (264.7 KB, 6 views)
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Dibbs on the red S90. Excellent 450 Bomber you have there. Before the internets you would just hear stories of them. I never even saw or heard of one until my dad found a frame in a wrecking yard and went through the crazy amount of paperwork it took to release it and get it registered. But nowadays you see them pop up on the net from time to time. So have you had it out on the open road?

Last edited by Smithers; 02-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Sadly Ryan not even close. I'll have to wake this one up. Last registration was 1982- There seems to be a melted coil pack and probably some wiring.The po twice removed did some customizing- They chromed the side covers engine mounts valve covers, fork covers and other small stuff. It had aluminum fenders, non stock, wrong bars and gages, but most of the parts need to return to stock were included. As usual I'll evaluate the mechanicals- maybe get it running as is before the big tear down.

The red S90 is a bike I bought and sold last year. The bottom end sounds like it has a big end knock so I'm looking into that for the owner -who then is ready to move on to his next project so that bike is available. Let me know- did you get my pm a fews back regarding a cb160?
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

PM about the gas tank?

My first reaction is to jump on the s90, get it for less with the ailing engine and save the owner some hassle. But I just have too much to rebuild for a long while and the CL70 in the garage is waiting for some love. I wouldn't mind having a Honda CL175 either. A friend of mine scored a mint one of those and it's pretty quick: something that I could justify having insurance and registration on.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Lars, Great find ! It's kind of addicting , finding ,restoring and getting these bikes back out in the public eye . For guys my age ,these are what we started on . Getting our feet wet !,all over again .
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Awesome 450, Larz. I've always loved the K0 and K1 versions of the CB450. I'd love to add one to my little fleet, but I think I'll shoot for a CA77 next, assuming my wife doesn't protest too loudly.
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:02 AM

I have an excellent candidate that I know of. I've been sandbagging for myself but am covered up- Looks like another CA160 on the way too. PM if interested.