FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-20-2011, 03:49 PM

Default My 1963 CA95...

Hello all, joined the forum a few minutes ago, so here goes my first post!

I purchased a 1963 CA95 in the fall, I've never restored a motorcycle before so of course I bought this thing thinking I could have it running in no time (rookie mistake right?).

I was so preoccupied with the shiny excellent condition of the exterior of the gas tank, I was a little heartbroken when I discovered that the inside was extremely rusted. To the point of no return I fear.

Since the bike has been sitting covered since 1973, the two things I need to replace right away are the gas tank, and left exhaust side (it's rusted through in a couple places).

Any advice? Thanks and I can't wait to get more involved with the forum!

-Chris
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Welcome aboard. Newbie to the resto process also. Lots of good stuff here. You will learn for sure.
Unread 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8301 View Post
I was so preoccupied with the shiny excellent condition of the exterior of the gas tank, I was a little heartbroken when I discovered that the inside was extremely rusted. To the point of no return I fear.

Since the bike has been sitting covered since 1973, the two things I need to replace right away are the gas tank[....]

-Chris
Depending on the state of the gas tank, you may be better off having it repaired and repainted, since replacements can be tough to find depending on your location. You can find lots of threads on the subject here.

Anyways... welcome to the club! Remember, it's not insanity if you have a support group.

It may be a cult though...
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:27 AM

Wink

Hey , Welcome !! I to am a recent addition to this forum and I'm gratified at the other members knowledge and willingness to help . Questions , ask away and I'm sure you'll get steered in the right direction .
As to your gas tank there are several products available to derust your tank and also put a coating on the inner surface . There are several companies that also provide this service . Check out Walneck's Classic Cycle Trader magazine .
Take your time and enjoy the process of getting your bike restored and up and running .
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM

thanks for the warm welcome.

i took the tank to a pretty famous honda restoration shop here in san francisco, and the owner told me he could see where the rust was about put a whole in the bottom of the tank. is it possible to have that restored?

i found a guy in the area who does the rust treatment, and coats the tank for $60, but the honda shop told me if you do it wrong, you destroy the tank. any truth to that?
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Wink

You'll have to have the tank chemically treated to derust the inside surfaces and then inspect the bottom for any rust thru . The bottom of the tank can be repaired by cutting out the damaged areas and new metal being welded in . You would have to pressure test the tank to check for the integrity of the repairs and also do a coating .
Also check your petcock and make sure it's useable , many are corroded and damaged beyond repair . Someone on E-Bay is selling a replacement (adapter) petcock assembly . Not factory original but a good alternative . You also could weld a plate over the petcock area and drill and tap for a common replacement petcock .
But if the tank is too far gone then you'll have to find a replacement . I'd check with members on this forum first and E-Bay last .
As an aside I lived in the Bay area for 37 years ,moving to Ohio 4 years ago . Miss the weather and the area , don't miss the traffic , crime and high cost of living .

Tags
ca95, exhaust