FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Another great oil debate.

Every so often, Honda bing out their fabulous GP motorcycles from the early sixties. They still use the same oil that they did back then.
The oil they use is Castrol R30, a vegetable based racing oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/castr...trol%20R40.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaRop_ZMwo0

Sam.
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Yes, this has been a pleasure debate oils within this forum. Seeing your vegetable based racing oil brings me to further explain the video of the guy that is adding olive oil to his cycle....to which I am against.

Vegetable oils can be split into mono and di-glycerides. The oils can be also hydrogenated and fractionated. The fattey acids can be re-arranged to provide most any chemical design one wants. So a vegetable based motor oil is developed using the above methods and some additional chemistry that is beyond me.

In short, yes you can have a vegetable based motor oil....no,one should not use off the shelf olive oil in an engine....
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
In short, yes you can have a vegetable based motor oil....no,one should not use off the shelf olive oil in an engine....
The YouTube olive oil video was just a parody, not a serious video. Just meant for giggles. However, i am going to taste my oil the next time I change it to detect traces of chromium from the ball bearings.
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Don't forget Bertolli makes the best :P Kart could you message me your address? I have misplaced it.
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yeah when he holds the oil bottle up to his Victory cycle the oil doesn't actually flow out of the bottle if you look close. What a monkey.

I actually have two big 5gal VP racing fuel cans of synthetic oil from stock car test engines. When they are done testing those engine for a few minutes on the dyno they dump the oil. That's where I come in. I grab this perfectly good and clean oil and use it in my rides! The stuff is super expensive and I would never run it in a motorcycle for fear of clutch slippage. For the bikes I buy the junkiest 30wt oil I can so as to make sure it's not too slippery.