FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-19-2015, 10:10 PM

Default Interesting C95 Benly on eBay

Seller says it's a '61, but the engine number (C95E-301xxxx) would indicate to me that it's a '63. However, the bodywork, thin (original) whitewall tires, and round muffs make it look like a '64. I wonder if the non-US 150 Benly's came out in '63 with the changes we saw in the US a year later, or if their engine number sequences were different? I've never see a red 150 badge. Tach and cam covers are interesting too...possibly homemade? Anyway, aside from the cut front fender, it seems like a complete and decent looking low mileage original survivor that should clean up fairly well!?!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Other-...m=381365273481
Unread 08-20-2015, 02:49 AM

Way Interesting!....the tacho and cam covers look like the ones of the later CB/CL 125 engines (non-sloper?)

Old/original red badges... NFI

Number plate frame looks like the german version listed in the CMSNL fische?....sooo UK origin....maybe Canadian ( aren't they like the same )

Kev.
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Only the frame and engine numbers will tell the story. The frame looks like a 64 or 65 based on the rear fender trim. The "tach" cover the seller mentioned is aftermarket. The bike is probably Canadian or perhaps a bike brought home by someone returning from Viet Nam. (Via Japan after R&R)

There are so many interchangeable parts for these CA95/C95's that you can do anything if your handy, like change out a kilometer speedo for an MPH type.

I'm not sure of the red badges, but I know, from experience restoring badges, that they are simply painted black on the back side. Anyone handy with a flat surface and wet & dry sandpaper can change the background color.

It's still a nice bike, but I think it has been tinkered with. I may put the Army Bike on eBay in a week or two. I'm sure someone will be confused trying to figure out if the Army issued the CA95 for duty. (Not)
Unread 08-22-2015, 07:05 AM

I'm not sure of the country but the cam end covers and the different point of entry of the clutch cable into the motor would make it the same as the Canadian model.
Also it is a C95 two bearing crank motor.

Sam.
Unread 09-24-2015, 03:45 AM

Default Tach and cam covers

i have a 63 c95 according to my engine no and the tach and cam covers are identical,so woundering if this is a canadian version
Unread 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM

I think Sam's the expert, but it sounds like yours is a Canadian version to me. What about your clutch cable entry point? Does it look like the one in the attached picture, or the one on eBay?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TransL.JPG (136.0 KB, 12 views)
Unread 09-25-2015, 04:48 PM

Default Clutch cable

my clutch cable is like the one on eBay,not sure which one looks better as I have a new clutch cable that is too long if I set it up like the canadian version.i have the side covers to do either way.