FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Restoration & Fabrication Techniques

Restoration & Fabrication Techniques Doing things right the first time.

Unread 01-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Engine Painting

I found another forum talking about engine paint and they all liked this Eastwood product.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-e...loss-blac.html

I'm just making a mental note here so I can remember to order some for my next engine soon.
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:56 AM

I highly recommend Eastwood good supplier.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:02 AM

I am about to paint my engine cases with the 2 part ceramic paint from Eastwood.
Pics soon.
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:00 AM

Default Engine Paint Report-Eastwood Ceramic 2-Part

The CA95 engine cases were bead blasted and washed 4 times. The engine cases were painted under a bright light, 35lbs air pressure using a mini HPLV spray gun.

Below is a before shot of one part

After

I am also saving the mufflers until a better pair is found. The mufflers were also bead blasted. They were patched with heavy application fiberglass resin with a JB Weld coating. The paint adhered well. The mufflers are a work in progress. They will get a final coat after feathering the patch. Then shiny silver header paint.

The paint was thinned 1/3 with fast reducer. It applied very nice and one moderate coat is all I needed. I am very pleased.

I have painted an inner chain guard from a CA160 as a sacrificial part. After a week I will subject it to gasolene to check its durability.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-10-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:06 AM

IS that the Eastwood 51631 universal Aluminum ceramic engine paint?
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:47 AM

Yes, with the 4:1 Urathane Hardener. I'm very pleased with the ease of application and coverage. The color is close to the original Honda Silver. I decided to paint the wheel hubs, handlebar mount and horn so everything matches.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Fuel Exposure Test Results

My sacrificial painted part was put to the test today as to check the resistance of this 2 part engine paint to gas.

Spilled gas on the part and allowed to evaporate twice @75F. No damage to the paint.

The part was submerged in gas. 5 minutes. No damage.

The part was submerged in gas for 4 hours. The paint was damaged, but did not fall away from the metal.

Standard rattle can engine paint would be damaged within seconds. I am very impressed.
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM

I am currently rebuilding a 160 engine for a friend and used the Eastwood paint for the case, cylinder, head, side covers and small parts. While Spokes has better technique than I do, I am very pleased with my results. I have used about 1/2 quart to paint essentially two engines.
As far as durability I wanted the characteristics tested for by Spokes. I prepped the usual way and let the parts heat up in the Fl afternoon sun prior to and post painting. I used a $14 Harbor Freight HVLP gun at about 45 psi, mixed per the instructions and some medium reducer added for my conditions. I sprayed a tack coat and then two "medium wet" coats. I'd estimate the parts were in excess if 125 deg F when I sprayed them.
Unfortunately on a last pass I got a bit of water in the line and the finish on one side cover fisheyed badly. The next day I decided to throw the cover into the bead blast cabinet and restrip it. 20 minutes later and with only the size of a silver dollar removed I decided the stuff was pretty tough. I reached for another side cover and stripped and painted it with a much nicer result. It took much less time that way.
Additionally I sprayed parts separately, prior to mock up and final assembly. The finish takes dirty fingers and cleans up with just a wipe and after final assembly no touch up was required. I prefer this technique over the assemble then paint method
Again I'm super impressed with this product and will be placing and order for more.

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 06-29-2013 at 05:07 PM.