FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Rebuilding the petcock.

I'm finding some trouble putting this petcock back together with these reproduction parts. How deep should this rubber disk sit? Should the holes come up through it? Its having a hard time fitting those holes.
Img: http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/ni...9.jpg.html?o=2

How deep should this second part with the tube fit? I see the groove, but it doesn't want to go that deep Img:http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/ni...6.jpg.html?o=2
Also am i better off with the cork disk whose holes i drilled to fit? http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/ni...7.jpg.html?o=1

Any help or pictures is appreciated as this is keeping me off the road! Thanks
Unread 09-24-2015, 01:12 PM

I think it just needs to sit in the slot to stop the disk rotating. When you screw it to the tank the star washer sits against the tank to provide the sealing pressure. You need to make sure it doesn't come out of the slot as you tightening the screws. Just snug up the screws and check the lever moves and gets tighter as you tighten the screws. Mine worked fine but was very firm to move until I sprayed it with acf50. Nice and smooth now.

Hope this helps
Unread 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM

No Longer Available.

Last edited by Spokes; 11-16-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Unread 09-24-2015, 08:52 PM

I used the neoprene gasket and opened up the holes a bit with a x-acto knife. Like Nige said, the groove will seat itself into the slot when you tighten down the 3 mounting screws, and as you tighten up the screws, the lever movement gets firmer. I had to tighten up my 3 screws pretty good to keep it from leaking, so my lever was really firm at first, but is finally starting to loosen up after a year and 600 miles or so. My ptecock has been working fine with zero leaks, but I was tempted to switch over to the unit Spokes and others are using successfully .

Spokes, did you purchase that $59.98 petcock kit on eBay or do you have another source for just the adapter plate? Reason I ask is that I already have the petcock (they're inexpensive); I just need the adapter plate. Thanks!
Unread 09-24-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
This petcock reproduction rebuild kit has two nagging issues. Both the black neoprene disk and the cork disk have undersize holes. I never had any luck with the neoprene disc as it swells when soaked in gasoline. I used the cork disk and opened the holes with a small round tool maker file.

Save yourself some grief from your petcock leaking gas all over your bike by:

1.) Soak the cork disk in clean motor oil over night. The cork needs to swell.

2.) Clean the selector plate free of rust and dirt.

I have walked away from the old petcock on these bikes and went to the adapter plate with the 3/8 Harley petcock.
I already reworked the holes with a drill bit to make them fit, will this be alright? Or will they be too big once they swell from soaking? thanks
Unread 09-24-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRudolph View Post
I already reworked the holes with a drill bit to make them fit, will this be alright? Or will they be too big once they swell from soaking? thanks
the cork one that is
Unread 09-25-2015, 04:03 AM

No Longer Available

Last edited by Spokes; 11-16-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Unread 10-12-2015, 04:48 PM

I installed the petcock only to have it leaking non stop! Could this be from not completly tightening? When I tightened all the way i had no lever movement.