FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > 1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods

1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods Adaptronic, porting, air intake and more.

Unread 11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

True-Flow concentrates on the ag and tractor market more then off-road. That's where the money is their filters are the best in my opinion. I took off my new K&N once and inspected the intake tube to find a lot of oily dirt coating the intake tube (that wasn't there before) and that is not acceptable. I have been running a True Flow for a long time now and my air is much cleaner.
They have come down in price in the last year and are affordable finally, depending on who's selling it I guess. The first time you wash a K&N and hold it up to the light you will probably be able to see holes in it. The gauze filters are horrible. They all use fibers to make up the filter element that will flatten down the first time you wash it and cut down on the airflow bigtime. I've taken them off race cars on the dyno to show their owners how bad they are. They switch to foam instantly.

Foam can also hold much more dirt safely inside the element before it starts blocking the airflow. The time inbetween cleaning a foam filter is much longer. One coat of heavy dust in a cotton filter will instantly start blocking air. Dirt bikes and lawnmowers use foam filters because they are the most neglected machines out there and foam is the only filter that can take the abuse and work properly.

Easy clean as well. I've installed many of them. Oiling them is SUPER easy as well. Just throw the filter in a bag with some oil and move it around and your done. I'll have to post a picture of the crazy big True Flow I threw on my intake tube. =]
They are the best on and off road.
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Admin

Here is how I setup mine. One should be able to adapt a True Flow onto a K&N kit (FIPK II) without much trouble. I still don't think True Flow makes a complete kit for the Tacos, just the drop ins. If I saw the V6 in front of me I could put one on, or if you post a picture I could suggest something. Here is a picture from under my hood. I've since rubbed the K&N logo off.

Unread 12-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Admin

Here is a picture that shows a nice top-down of my intake setup. This is the first version that I tried before I bought the rubber reducer fitting (shown above) that allows you to step down the K&N adapter from a 5" to the True Flow 4" filter diameter. I got the rubber pipe fitting/reducer at a hardware store in Oregon but I also spotted them at my local Home Depot so that's the place to look for one if you need one.

You can see that I had to modify the heat shield with a strap to make as much space as possible for that long True Flow filter to squeeze in there. The filter is a True Flow part #90204