FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 08-29-2013, 05:30 AM

Default A reall quickie for me...

Doing my usual weekly search of bikes for sale I found a local listing for 1984 Cb650 Nighthawk in need of some help. The advertised price was $600 so I gave the guy a call. He thought and was told it needed a CDI (electronic ignition) box and some clutch work. Overall the bike was in pretty decent shape and hadn't been run in about 9 months. The real clue for me was when he said none of the electrical stuff worked after trying a jump start from a car.
Well a $500 exchange and the bike was loaded up.
Did some parts research (used CDIs etc) and got into it the next day. Long story short and a $1.50 fusible link (main fuse) and a quick flushing of the fuel systems and reconnecting a few little things left undone by the scooter mechanic who evaluated the bike for the PO, and walah we got a runner!
I did need to scrounge a set of turn signals and a clutch slave cylinder which I got from a local breaker to complete the project but at this point it looks and runs and works well. The only deficits I can find are cam chain noise on start up (47k miles on the clock, so understandable) and the high beam indicator doesn't work (but the headlamp works fine). Fastest bike in the stable for now ( probably going to the brother in law). Project complete in less than a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2795.jpg (265.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2781.jpg (271.3 KB, 3 views)