FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Motorradwerk Zschopau opinions?

I have a chance to pick one of these up fairly complete partially restored and I am wondering if I should bite? The Motorradwerk Zschopau is the motorcycle company that inspired Mr Honda to make his Dream after he toured the east german motorcycle facility. Many of the dreams styling and features come from this bike...so what do you guys think? All it's missing is the head light and throttle/clutch cable. The asking price is 500 bucks for this rare gem I think I could get him down a bit more. I have the cash and my bills are paid... The first picture is what the bike looks like except this one is red. The second picture is the 250 model that one makes it a little easier to see where Mr. Honda got some inspiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mz150.JPG (133.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg mk250.jpg (8.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-06-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

If I were you I wouldn't have thought twice. that thing would have been in my garage within minutes. Germans sure know how to make a good machine.
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I can't believe you were able to resist! What year is it?
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:27 PM

It is a 73' it looks just like the blue one in the first picture but it is red not blue. Theres all sorts of vids on youtube of people doing wheelies burnouts etc. it has some great history according to wikipedia like holding a record of a 6 day race for 10 years running and easy race mods allowing it to have more than 44 bhp. Japan was trying to get ahold of one for many years to find out how they were producing so much power in a small engine, finally yamaha and suzuki were able to smuggle one and figure it out, it's probably what started japan away from multi cylinder to one massive bore for awhile, some people were trying to figure out why they seemed to turn backwards to one cylinder, when they cracked the mz thats about when that happened. It's still available if I still have the extra cash to throw at it by Tuesday, I'll pick it up.
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Admin

Apparently these are stunt bikes and race machines according to Youtube. Looks like they were VERY well constructed and very strong motorcycles for on and offroads as well. I would ride the piss out of it. German company founded by a Dane. Looks like a runner!
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:41 AM

My dad rode for MZ in the 1968 six days trial and was very impressed with the enginering and performance of the bike, no small complement as he was riding a Norton p11 at the time. When the P11 came out nothing could touch it in the desert. I'm not sure how he finagled a ride for an east german factory but he said that if he could have brought the bike back he would have rode it instead of anything else. The bike he rode after the p11 was a 400 husky.

Mz has its roots in DKW and it is the DKW 125 design that became part of the war reparations. it bacame the Harley hummer, the BSA bantam, and the yamaha ya-1.

I would grab the bike in a heart beat. I would imagine that parts would't be as much of a problem with the internet.

Robin
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Admin

Thank goodness for the internets.
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM

I've decided to pass on it, if anyone is interested search east german bike on raleigh craigslist he put pictures up since my last post about it he night crate it it is lighter than a ca95. I am passing because I have another bike lead i like better.
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Admin

You a very strong man JB!
Unread 05-15-2011, 01:33 AM

What got me away from it 2 350's one a 72' cl350 scrambler and one a 76 cb350. 200 bucks damn guy sold em before I could get there.
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Admin

Whoa that's nuts. Those 350's are very useful. My dad has a couple and used to ride them all the time. I think I might be getting a free CB100 myself in the near future. Trying not to get too excited though.
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Yeah it wasn't 200 each it was 200 for BOTH complete just not running, I nearly fainted before I could grab the phone, and nearly murdered when there was no hold and sold before I got there.
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Admin

I could buy and sell all of those for double the money. People love those bikes.
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

I've seen ones needing restoration go for 3k. Restored 5 to 8k, the cl350 scramblers that is, the regular cb350's about 1 to 2k unrestored and 3 to 5k restored. So I feel bummed that I missed out.
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM

I have a lead on 3 cb500 black bombers early models...I might get lucky, I just spent loads of cash in parts so I am a little short of asking price atm. I am thinking of selling my Ampeg classic series cab to finance it, so I don't miss out...I dunno anyone else have the motorcycle itch that can't be scratched?