FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Ok mate, it's work time but don't forget Valdosta in a few weeks.
Unread 10-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Sam, I will let you know. It's a maybe this time.

Well, I promised some pics and a quick update.

The gas tank was full of old petrol mud. It looks like some put dirt in the tank....30yrs ago. What was weird is that it protected the petcock. I was able to salvage the petcock and the bowl. The mufflers are pretty wasted. I guess they could be sandblasted and painted. They will also need a jb weld fix if I was going to keep them. The crashbars are 95% nice. A little rust and a very small scrape. They may go on the build from scratch or the 160. These bars are as rare as they get. I also mentioned it had Buco mirrors. I got the rust off, but the chrome is damaged. I don't have the heart to throw them out....

The bike will be broken down soon. There is much to do...but it's what I like about these types of projects.

Here are some pics.

Here is a shot with the original tank badge. Too much weathering...

The tank sides are nearly perfect, the tank may be good, but I have another. I may pass the tank along or ebay it. I cleaned it and is good to ship, but it still has alot of rust.
Unread 10-23-2012, 03:40 AM

Damn Chip, I've scrapped better looking bikes than that but knowing you, I'm sure you'll turn it into a work of art.

Sam.
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:12 AM

I'll agree with Sam. I know you like a challenge and you've certainly got one in this bike. But it is just metal and paint and you do a nice job. Should be a fun one...
L
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Yikes! On the positive side, the before/after pictures will really show a contrast. Was it parked along the ocean? At least the rubber tank pads are not rusted.

It looks a lot like a CA160 from Hawaii that an owner on another forum posted a question about.

I admire your drive to rescue these little Hondas and make them nice again.
Unread 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks guys, I'm humbled.
Unread 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Here is a shot of the contents of the gas tank.

Below is a shot of the tank after being cleaned.

Somehow, with the oily dirt in the tank for 30yrs, the tank cleaned up nicely and can be returned to service.

Another wild find is the headlight...original 1964....still works, both high and low beam.
Unread 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Great ... both are good surprises. I wonder if the electrical connections experienced the same sort of corrosion that the body has?
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Other forum Question

I am looking forward to seeing this CA95 saved. Nice Work Spokes! It's like you are saving a part of my youth, and probably for alot of other forum members too.
ByTheLake referenced a forum that I am unfamiliar with. A Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Forum. Is it a Cafe Racer type or more restoration minded. My problem is I am slowly assembling a stock CB160 from a bare motor I ran across on craigslist last summer while looking for a CA160 engine. Whenever I google CB160 it's seems all I get are cafe racer related.
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:32 PM

You might look for the honda vtwin forum. They may have more info for the CB160. Although the CB160 does make a cool cafe bike.

The wiring on this honda needs some wd40. some plugs came free easy, others were not. I always have to repair plug ends. I planned to clean up the wiring anyway.

The last find for today was the horn, in working order, and the most suprising, the instrument lights look like new and they work...
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Although the CB160 does make a cool cafe bike.
How true but the bikes in this link were produced long before the CB160 had been invented.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...%3Disch&itbs=1

Sam.
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:01 AM

@Steve- For my tastes the VJMC seems to be a good group but not very localized. They do however seem to cater more to the "vintage crowd" meaning more restorations and preservations than modifications. You might try AHRMA for more racing flavors.
I agree that many vintage bikes are cut up for cafe bikes ( do no harm with a torch and sawzall) and the Cb160 is favorite.
What do you need for the CB? You can find some good parts from the cafe guys if you are building a stock bike. Most everything else is "ebayvalible".

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 10-24-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:02 AM

@ Spokes....looks like you PO was trying to smuggle some that "black tar hash" from back in the old days....
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Thank You Larzfromarz:
for the information about VJMC. I am looking forward to checking it out.
Ironically I have been benefiting from the cafe guys. There are many stock seats and fenders etc. that racers have pulled off their bikes making it pretty easy for me to collect the needed parts. I know this is a pretty silly way to build a bike but if I didn't buy that motor it would end up on a track somewhere winding about 10,000 and eventually throwing a rod. So far, I've got a frame, rear fender, front forks, rear swingarm, tank, side covers, wheels, title, no wiring, handlwbars, I figure I am about halfway there, one piece at a time... and there is no hurry, I am fully involved with my CA95 getting it ready for the road.
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Larz...I forgot about black tar hash......LOL! Stever, I have a set of handlebars that would fit your CB, but they would need an external throttle assembly. Yours for shipping...LMK