FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Buco Saddlebags Repair and Help Topics

Unread 04-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Sealing gaskets??

Well I am finishing up a pair of these bags, but what gaskets did you use? Also, I am curious where you found your lenses for your bags? I really like those and need some.

Thanks...

Kellie
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Hi Kellie

The lid gaskets come from Bowling Green Rubber & Gasket 2701 Griffin Dr. Bowling Green, KY 42102 270-842-6105 Part# XU0004 Extrusion-006-Uchannel. I bought 7.5 ft last time for my bags and had extra. Call these folks and order what you need. They will send it out. .55 -.65 per ft.

The lenses are from Auto Zone. They come off of "Trailer Marker Lights" if they don't have the lenses you may have to buy the light assembly and just use the lenses. About $ 3.89 ea.

You can also get period exact new Stratolite 53 lenses from Stratolite.com at less than $3 ea.

I have extra lenses but they are blue.
Unread 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM

I scored some lenses today and some gasket material is on its way. I just need to kick my hubby's butt into high gear to get the rest of the bike done. This 6 month resto has been going for a year and a half, and I want to ride it already!!!
Unread 04-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Default wiring question

hey Chip, when you wired your bags, did you wire them to be just brake lights or just blinkers or a combination of both? Since my bike isn't wired for blinkers, I have to do some creative wiring, and purchase a switch and flasher. I have blinkers on my 1965 CA95, but I don't have buco bags on that bike. So I was wondering how yours was wired.

Kellie
Unread 04-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Hey Kellie

Please see below

PM me with an email address and I will send you a wiing diagram for turn signals. I also have some pics of bullet light set ups that I have done for various people in the USA. I have wired Buco bags for 1157 double filement lights so both lights are running and stop or turn signal. I have done some with the outside light as turn signal and inside running. The picture attached is both lights for turn signal or running.
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM

Here is another set I have done. Same color as Lou's Corvette White. Custom fabed Buco replica hangers. Double filement light fixtures. It sports a custom mounting system that allows the wiring to pass through the mounts rather than drilling holes. The wiring goes to a special wired fender brace.

The bike will be listed on eBay for sale on or about 5-1-2011

Last edited by Spokes; 04-19-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add pic
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:22 PM

I just got a set of Buco bags that are in need of repair, but restorable. One
thing that's missing is half the lid hardware. There is everything there for one
bag less the over-center latch / lock. The other bag has no hardware at all.

Do any of you guys have any Buco hardware kicking around? I could fabricate it,
but it would be way easier to find it, re-chrome and go from there.

I think that I can get the latches from Spaenaur here in Canada, rather like
McMaster Carr.

GD
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Buco parts are hard to find. The closest latch I have found and have used is
http://www.vintagevibe.com/p-84-pian...sic-style.aspx

I only have some old original nuts & bolts and one complete set of Buco bags waiting to be restored. Although I have finally figured out how to build replacement lights that take off the shelf 6 or 12 volt LED bulbs.