FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Yes, I'm thinking about a chopper build, but next year. I think I will buy a older V twin and mess with it. Not sure about any detail as of yet.

My father was the guy who did everything slow and perfect. Mr Phd Engineer, dragged me through 49 states and 16 countries before I was 13. I witnessed 2 communist revolutions in latin America in 63 and was behind the Iron Curtain in July of 65. You might say I grew up fast.

But as I got older...I became much like him.....slow and detail oriented. The Honda gig is just a hobby, like you said..some people build models, paint, fish, hunt, collect coins.....
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Hey Spokes,
Its good to see you moving forward and as long as you are learning its all good. Hell all my mistakes give us something to talk about and something for me to laugh at, eventually. I guess you call it part of our "Odyssey" to pun a Honda term.
Private lake test track though.... very jealous!
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:36 PM

While I was collecting parts for the build from scratch, I was also collecting parts and buying beat up vintage Buco Twinmaster Saddlebags. Below is a shot of one of the stripped bags and my custom lights being fitted on the bike.

The CA160 build will have a set as well. I have a 3rd set of bags but they will need some repair. Not sure what I will do with those...
Unread 06-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Time Stamp 6-9-2012

I finally figured out how to rebuild a standard seat. This shot includes a set of nearly refinished set of Buco Saddlebags. The bags sport my custom built L.E.D. ready lights and new latches. All that is left is the carb air cleaner and the installation of the carb covers. I should have the registration and plates soon.

Again, once the bike runs perfect and all the bugs worked out, it will be torn down and painted white along with the CA160. Then it will be time for donation.

I would like to thank all of the nearly 100,000 hits do date that have watched and read about my project over the past 3 years. Thank you Smithers for a great forum.

There will be some more updates until the final conclusion later this summer.

Last edited by Spokes; 06-09-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add pic
Unread 06-09-2012, 10:30 AM

Awesome!!!
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Thumbs up

Chip ,your the master !!! Great looking build . Once you donate the bike let me know if their going to auction or raffle the bike . There might be a place for it next to the red bike .
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:25 PM

Rodger..Thank you. I will let the forum know when the donation date is and detail of the auction. I really don't expect that the bike will bring big money, but rather awareness. The strange turn of events has happened though. I'm not sure if I have reported this in the forum. My direct report is to a fella who spent 29yrs in the Navy and is currently a Navy Reserve Commander. While returning from a weekend of service he had swelling in one testicle. He now is out on medical leave doing chemo after surgery. It is his wife who works for the American Cancer Society that will coordinate bikes pick up and auction.

I expect to see Carl in August. I expect that the bike should be re painted and finished sometime Aug or Sept.

The Build From Scratch Honda Dream seems to have developed a legecy who's history is documented here in this forum. During the build my own sister survived breast cancer, now someone whom I have great respect and is a proven leader is now in the battle. This little bike is now a survivor. I hope it makes a big hit for cancer awareness. It will be cool.
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:07 PM

That's an awesome bike built for a good cause. Hopefully you can get some coverage from the local media. It looks beautiful and helps motivate me to get my project on the road.
Unread 06-10-2012, 04:59 AM

Chip , unfortunately cancer has affected many people and families but more and more people are surviving due to medical advances in the field . Anthing that bring awareness to the problems associated with any illness is a good thing and should be applauded . Hopefully your donation will continue to remind people that anyone can and should invest a little time and energy in helping out .
I'm wondering if an auction like Mecum's might be a good fit to sell the bike . They like to inject charity sales in their auctions . It's good buisness for them and brings more awareness to the cause . It might be something for your friend to think about . Like you say there has been an amazing amount of interest in the build , could be a great story .
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Well done. The project, and the purpose, are inspirational. Thanks for sharing the details and pictures.
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Hey Spokes, did you have any issues bending the chrome auto door trim around a corner or tight radius? Any tips or tricks?
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:55 AM

No tricks really, but I found that if you warm the trim in the sun it makes it really pliable.
Unread 06-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Time Stamp 6-25-2012

The formula for making the Build From Scratch legal in Georgia is pretty straight forward. All I needed was a Bill of Sale from the owner of the frame, be a legal resident of Georgia with a valid drivers license, insurance and an inspection from local law enforcement to verify the serial numbers and do a search of the frame number

Georgia does not title any vehicle build prior to 1985.....but will register the vehicle provided all of the above criteria are met.

Below is a pic of our local finest looking over the bike. Tomorrow..plates
Unread 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Georgia is a barn find restorers dream when it comes to titling; I wish your neighbor state to the North would take a hint, but they follow how NC does things. It could be the first motorcycle ever made and SC would say it should have a 15 digit VIN and a chain of title stretching back to the day it was made; if that chain broke in there some where, we're not talking hurdles; we're talking steeple chase with a pack of wild rabid dogs behind you.

Glad to see it almost to it destination; and hope the auction proceeds saves some lives, the new owner loving the bike is a given. Nice work, I'm looking forward to your future builds.