FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Default Latest Whitewall News

I wanted to start a thread on the whitewall wait. Below is the latest news..
https://www.universaltire.com/motorc...whitewall.html
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I wanted to start a thread on the whitewall wait. Below is the latest news..
https://www.universaltire.com/motorc...whitewall.html
Is this the same tire that I'm waiting for from Coker? I paid $118 apiece for mine, although my latest ship date from Jegs.com is "early May".

Interesting about "New mold under development...". First I've heard about that. I'm ok with this date as long as this doesn't become August.
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:30 PM

When I contacted universal last year, they told me about the mold problem, and that they were trying to get it fixed. I noticed the "new" date a month or so ago, but I have yet to call and ask if it was still on track for that date. It seems like at least now they have a date ONLINE. I was told 2 months, over a year ago lol.
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:23 AM

I know this is kinda off-subject (i.e., not specifically whitewall related), but it is CA95 / Benly 150 tire-related...

What is the correct tread pattern for the front and rear tires (i.e., did they come from the factory with the same tread pattern front and rear)?

Also, what size of tire originally came on our bikes, 3.00x16 or 3.25x16, and was it the same front and rear?

Lastly, does anybody know what brand(s) of blackwall tire(s) is/are available for our bikes and what vendor sells them?
Thanks!
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM

From what I have seen..

3.0 x 16 was the tire size for the CA95

3.25 x 16 was the tire size for the CA160

The front tires were ribbed on both models
The rear tire had a cross hatch tread pattern on both models

The whitewall tires promised to all but delivered to none, are ribbed type.

I have restored and rode 2 CA95's and 2 CA160's (now working on a 3rd CA160)
I have riden a CA95, owned by a friend, with the whitewall ribbed tires on both front & back as well.

I have used these very tires for both models I like to work on:
https://www.denniskirk.com/irc/rear-....prd/54368.sku

These tires feel good at 60mph. I really don't venture much faster. I felt no problem running the same tread design on front & rear. I know that the whitewall tires, when available, with the rib design tread, feel good on both front and rear applications.

The 3.0 and 3.25 x 16 size tire fits nicely and allows the rear tire to be removed without disturbing the chain guard/chain/drive.

The 1st CA95 I restored I kind of went old school with and mounted 3.50 x 16 tires. They looked cool and had a tight fit...but changing the tire meant removing the chain guard and sprocket drive assembly. The 3.50 size did not rub...but they rode very close to the frame.

There are some other choices that other members found. Some folks have used the portawalls (member kartgreen for one). I have seen his bike with the portawalls on metric size tires that look real real nice.

So, basically, pick the choice that pleases you the best.

Last edited by Spokes; 04-04-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:56 PM

I just found these as a typical example of a ribbed front & cross hatch pattern rear tire. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vint-Ohtsu-R...d51c13&vxp=mtr
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM

I checked the CA92/CA95 Driver's Manual .pdf and as Spokes stated... 3.0" x 16" is the proper size. I recently saved some pictures (24 in total) of an eBay auction for an awesome all-original 1963 CA95 with ~2k miles. I have attached pictures that serve as a nice visual reference of the correct original front/rear Ohtsu whitewall tires on that bike. For the blackwall crowd, http://onlyoldiesgarage.com offers the proper size and configuration (i.e., ribbed front, cross-hatch rear) Goodyear tires for our bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963-CA95-01.jpg (132.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1963-CA95-20.jpg (145.9 KB, 22 views)
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:58 AM

Just got off the phone with Coker. The 300X16s are discontinued and the 325X16 are supposed to be coming in at the end of May. I'll believe it when I see it.

Called again. Now they are saying June.

Last edited by DanUhr; 04-29-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Update
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Jegs.com just sent me an update today. It says that my Coker whitewalls now have "... an estimated ship date of 06/01/12".

This is the 4th revised ship date I've received for this order, so I really have no confidence that this will be the final ship date. If this slips any further I'll need to order a set of black wall tires just to get the Benly on the road.
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Lake, that's probably what you're gonna have to do, if you plan on riding it this summer. Sadly, it seems there's always excuses to delay runs on the tire. I'm guessing Cokers Firestone deal lapsed and that's the reason for new molds.

I inquired about paying for a custom run of whitewalls in our size from another company; that will run custom sizes but never heard back...so that kinda nipped that in the butt, at least from that supplier. The other ones that offer the same service seem to always be swamped with custom orders; and the window for new ones open and close very fast.

The shortage of whitewall tires in this size makes little sense; as there are over a dozen bikes that also take the same tire size, whom's owners also would like to get some whitewalls wrapped around their rims.
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM

I inquired about the whitewall brand on this eBay CA95: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_30685wt_1170

They turned out to be the old good year ones they were called: "Goodyear Super Eagle" whitewall they also made them in 5x16 with the same name; so if you try and hunt some down be careful about what size you're looking at.

I found a NOS one in the first page search results so more might not be too hard to find: http://www.buycheaptiresandwheels.co...whitewall.html
Unread 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM

My '65's front tire looks to be an original for the bike Ohtsu with approximately a 5/8" whitewall unlike the gangster walls on the above '63. The narrower whitewalls also seem to be made out of unobtanium.
Unread 05-12-2012, 02:41 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed ... I haven't received a reschedule notice since April 6. Could the June 1 ship date actually hold? I've laced new spokes onto one new rim, and will finish the other rim next week, so it would be awesome to actually receive the whitewalls.
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Talking

It's 4:35 pm Tuesday , May 22 ,2012 and Eric from Coker called to say Coker is shipping the 3.25-16 WHITE WALL tires to me today !! Should have them at the end of this week .
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Great news, I hope this means that my tires, scheduled to ship June 1, are on track too.