FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-01-2011, 03:29 AM

Default Another rookie for Benly restoration

Good day.. I got a 1964 honda benly originally owned bay my grandfather and handed to my dad and now handed to me. Since then, i've been restoring it. It's now on its 10th year (more or less) since i started restoring. It took so long because I didn't have much time and money. Sometime i got the feeling of focucing on the bike and I thought if I don't work on it now, i might probably grow old and not able to get it running. So since then, i made it sort of a personal project to restore this family treasure. Eversince, i was able to get some parts to replace the missing parts of the benly and one time, I am fortunate enough to buy another ca95 but it was in a poor state. I assembled the bike out of the parts i can get from the two bikes and was able to get it running for a few months.. The problem i have now is the power regulator and ignition coils. The bike runs if the battery is newly recharge but after a while only 1 cylinder is firing up. I believe the electricity cannot supply for the two ignition coils.

key points are as follows:

1. converted from 6V to 12 volts

2. ignitions coils used are from a jeep. (those big cylindrical coils)

3. improvised regulator using ICs'

Can anyone help on this project as i have spent so much time and money on this and still cannot make the bike run smoothly...
Unread 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Just curious how you converted the stator? the stock 6v system does not have a voltage regulator. The AC from the stator is run directly to the rectifier where it is converted to DC and it is then routed to the battery. The rest of the electrical system is run off the battery. It kind of uses the battery as the voltage regulator but there is noting to prevent it from over charging which is why they can boil off the battery. boiling off thebattery is usually due to running at full throttle with the high beam on. turning on the high beam engages all the coils of the stator and causes it to put out more power than when you are running only the low beam.

A succesfull conversion would need to address the stator as well as the rectifier or compleatly redesign the system to use a voltage regulator.

Robin
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Custom electronics = custom problems. Sorry I can't help. :\
Unread 05-01-2011, 04:02 AM

I've heard of people making the conversion on old triumphs pretty successfully, I'm sure there is much out there about converting those on the interwebs, good luck on it please keep us posted I had thought about the conversion myself since it would still run 6 volts just a half the load changed over to a 12, with the benefit of easy to find 12 volt bulbage <-yes i make up my own words some times. From noobie to noobie welcome.