FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Default DeRusting a Tank through Electrolysis?

Hi Everyone:
There was a Cafe Racer marathon this weekend. I recorded the whole thing to see if there was anything to be gleaned. I did find something of interest in which a fellow de rusted his fuel tank by placing a big anode down the fuel filler then connected it and the tank to some type of electronic device. The narrator mentioned the tank was filled with a solution. After 12 hours the anode (very crusty looking) was withdrawn and the tank pronounced clean. This show doesn't go into much technical detail because it focuses more on a lifestyle than how to work on bikes but I have a tank that I would like to try this with. Spokes showed me how to do this with aluminum with great results but I am hopeful that someone can share a tutorial how to do this with steel.
Thanks
Steve
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Hey Steve,

I've done this using a washing soda solution and a car battery as a power source(connected to a charger so it didn't flatten) , and an old bolt as the anode....worked a treat!...though its not a fast process.

Connect the positive lead (red) to the anode, the black (neg) to the part you want de-rusted. Suspend both the anode and the part in the washing soda solution (I used a big bucket). Switch the power source on (eg connect the battery) and you're away

the more current you use the quicker the process.....

MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT IT CORRECTLY!...otherwise you'll come back to find your cherished part has been eaten away instead of the old bolt

Kev.
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM

Also make sure when you clip the positive to your donor steel, don't let the jumper cable clip go under water. Otherwise it'll loose metal too.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM

I've been needing/wanting to attempt this myself. In this case Youtube is your friend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UETLH-Ca4 or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBPGn595goY
If you watch these there are more vids listed with them...
L
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM

There is a product called Evapo Rust that I used in my Benly tank and I would recommend going this route for any rust removal project. If I hadn't seen the results myself I would have a hard time believing it could work so well.
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:00 AM

I have used Evapo Rust on a couple projects to remove surface rust from chrome parts and it is pretty amazing.
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM

It's good stuff but electrolysis has it's place and is waaaayyyy cheaper. IMO-
L
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:27 PM

Most of the stuff that I have been soaking in Evapo Rust will fit in a gallon bucket. It would add up in a hurry for big part though.
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:56 AM

And mostly the subject was regarding fuel tanks, probably the hardest item to do. Small stuff and engine parts come out awesome with Evapo Rust/Metal Rescue etc. With electrolysis and good sized tube you can do fenders and tanks, the larger stuff.
Plus it's little more "mad scientist" than dunking a part.