FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-25-2012, 11:13 PM

Default Prolonged High Speed

Until I bought my CA95 I hadn't been on a motorcycle since I crashed my Suzuki GT380 in 1982. I've learned during my dozen or so rides my concept of Prolonged High Speed has changed from age 23 to 54. So far, my little 150 has more top end than I need. Maybe I should check the speedo because thirty seems pretty darn fast, or maybe I am just thinking about the remaining 50 year old inner tube.
Steve
Unread 08-26-2012, 03:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverinomeiste View Post
Until I bought my CA95 I hadn't been on a motorcycle since I crashed my Suzuki GT380 in 1982. I've learned during my dozen or so rides my concept of Prolonged High Speed has changed from age 23 to 54. So far, my little 150 has more top end than I need. Maybe I should check the speedo because thirty seems pretty darn fast, or maybe I am just thinking about the remaining 50 year old inner tube.
Steve
I understand how the perception of speed changes with time. My thoughts tend to be "broken bones don't heal as well at my age". You're the first person to mention that the 150 has more top end than you need, though. Too funny, Steve.
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:03 AM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Thinking about riding to work.

I am thinking about riding my bike to work. I've been taking it out for little three to five mile spins for about two weeks now and the little problems that were popping up (due to it sitting around for fifty years) have pretty much stopped. My drive to work is 20 miles through farm county and I can drive most of the way as fast or as slow as I want. All except for a three mile stretch of highway where I would probably just pull over if a speed demon got behind me. I don't go to work during rush hour either. Any advice on preparation? Please tell me if I should put this crazy idea out of my head.
Thank You,
Steve
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:52 AM

and take your cell phone. Cell phone the best modern tool in the tool bag..."Come and get me!"... "Please, dear."
Unread 12-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Reviving some old threads here I won't be messing with my pipes until it's on the road and running well. They are in ok condition but I would like them to be much better. One has a baffle flopping around.

How do the baffles install/remove from the pipes? (The newer round style) If they slip out the rear discharge, how do they attach to the pipe?

Is it possible to split them at the seam, work out the dents, and weld them back together? I have a source that will rechrome used exhaust pipes in Houston. I have a set of Bassani chambers from the 70s for an RD400, I wanted rechroed Its hard to find someone to chrome used pipes as the carbon, if it leaks out, ruins the whole chrome tank. He was talking $200/pipe but claimed he could work a cash deal in person. I get to Houston several times a year anyway.
Unread 12-27-2014, 02:52 PM

The stock baffles attach by a M5x8 bolt with lock washer and, as you surmised, slide out the rear. If you are/have a talented welder, you can split and rechrome the muffs, but be advised there are also diffuser plates that are spot welded at various points inside the muff and those spot welds would need to be drilled out and then rewelded when you reassemble the muff prior to rechroming. All this certainly is doable, but decidedly a labor of love. $200 to me seems like a steal, but I live in Cali and everything is over-regulated and expensive out here.
Unread 12-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Yeah I have a friend that can walk the cup like nobody's business, Haha! I've talked to a few Chroming shops. Few would even consider used exhaust. Ones that did, said, "it'd be cheaper to buy new ones." It's a shame that someone doesn't make factory style repops. The Thai ones look good but the shape and mounts don't look anything near vintage or original.

Are those spot welded baffles one piece that is spotted to both halves? Or are the baffles halved where when the seams are cut, they will halve in two?
Unread 12-28-2014, 01:12 AM

They are one piece spotted to both halves. Shine a light into the muffler (after you get the baffle out); you might be able to see the closest plate to the rear discharge (if it isn't caked in carbon).
Unread 12-28-2014, 06:26 AM

Gotcha! Thanks!