FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 07-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Default Be Safe Out There My Friends

A Motorcyclist out here in Oregon did not survive an encounter with a car today. Police said they believe his injuries were survivable had he not been wearing this novelty helmet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (193.9 KB, 23 views)
Unread 07-13-2014, 03:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Sad news, but thanks for the reminder.

I see that Oregon requires a helmet by law. It's difficult to say whether the rider would have survived with another helmet, but it only makes sense to ride with full protection.

Here in Michigan, the helmet law was overturned a few years ago. It seems that half of the riders are without helmets now, and from my casual observations, it's the Harley crowd that tends to ride au naturale.

What amazes me is that I'll see riders without helmets, with helmetless passengers wearing only tank tops and shorts, riding at 70+ MPH on the freeways.

My daily rider is a Triumph Bonneville, and I ride with full gear.

Since we're talking safety, I'll also recommend the Proficient Motorcycling book. It's an excellent read that has made me a better, more aware motorcyclist. I re-read the book before the start of the biking season, as a refresher.
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM

I'm with BTL about safety. I spent 10 years in Down River Detroit area. I had a nice Valkyrie for a short while and sold it. The high speed nutzo's and the junk in and on the roads was crazy! I was too frightened to ride the highway! I agree that those who ride without protective gear are taking a risk for sure. Our heads are melons and our skin abrades so easily.

I recall a crotch rocker rider passing me doing a wheelie at way over 80mph. Honestly, I though I was going to faint as he passed me....
Unread 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM

Thank you for the book suggestion. I just ordered myself a used copy for under 4 dollars. I've had my endorsement since somewhere around 1975 but I've never read a book about motorcycle safety. It's about time I do.
Steve
Unread 07-14-2014, 03:52 PM

No helmet law here in New Hampshire either. I wouldn't even consider throwing a leg over any bike on or off road without a helmet. I have neighbors that go out at night for the cool summer air without helmets which is even crazier. I don't ever ride at night. But, with the law being what it is here, I don't say anything to anybody who chooses not to wear one.

I learned early. When I was in my teens, I went dirt bike riding to a local sand pit with some friends. I went blasting up a hill only to find that the other side was dug out. I was told that I hit a rock head first when I hit bottom. The helmet was shattered throughout. I didn't know anything, not even my name, for 3 days. Had I not been wearing the helmet, who knows?
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM

I know Grubsie. Helmets saved me twice. I hit a cable hanging across a gravel road as a kid and an encounter with a truck as a young adult. Two concussions but I feel like I got two second chances.
Unread 08-10-2014, 10:20 PM

I am reading Proficient Motorcycling, the book recommended by ByTheLake. Even though I've been riding motorcycles for 46 years I am learning a lot. When I finish, I will reread it. Just a few of the topics the author discusses are ego and self worth affecting one's riding style, hazard recognition, and, the physics of steering/turning a motorcycle. I haven't even scratched the surface of the content of this book. I think everyone should read it. Steve