FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Default Stevers CB160 update and questions for the Experts

Hi Everyone:
I am having a blast riding my CA95. I retired in June so I no longer have the opportunity to do the epic 25 miler to work. Sadly, I only managed to get two of those in before I was led out to pasture.
Yesterday, while returning from a quick trip to the bank the rear tube blew out on me in traffic at about 35 mph. It felt kind of like I was doing an involuntary Hula Dance. I got her slowed down and over to the side of the road without any problem. This is the second tube to blow on me. I've either got to examine my mounting technique or buy better tubes. I've been buying pretty cheap ones. Any Ideas?
The first pic shows where I am at now with my CB160. As many of you know, I found a lonely motor on Craigslist a year ago. It sat on my toolbox for a couple days before I couldn't stand it any longer and began looking for parts to bolt to it. During this project I've met some great guys who love these old bikes just like us.
About a month ago I met a young man named Brandon through a craigslist ad. He told me he had a collection of CB160 parts dating back to his Dads racing days in the 60's and 70's. With just an agreement over the phone, he kindly took his ad down until we could work out a day to get together. Today, we met at his storage unit and it was a thrilling experience for me. Brandon had enough parts to build at least two fairly complete bikes, including two motors and all the other had to find parts, including the air cleaner covers. These parts have all been cleaned, bagged and labeled and I felt privilaged to become the new owner of his collection.
Now for a question or two. In the third pic you will see some knee grips, I don't know what they are for. Any Ideas? In the fourth pic is an unusual dynamo cover. I've only seen the type with the Honda logo, this one has fins. Has anyone seen one before? Probably not a factory piece.
Thank you for your help.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cb160 project b.jpg (100.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0213 b.jpg (94.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0220b.jpg (92.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0223b.jpg (92.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Steverinomeiste; 08-03-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: clarity
Unread 08-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverinomeiste View Post
This is the second tube to blow on me. I've either got to examine my mounting technique or buy better tubes. I've been buying pretty cheap ones. Any Ideas?
What a sweet CB160! About the flat tires. You will need to look for protruding spoke threads in the nipples, rust and make sure your tube strip is good.
I recommend these tubes
https://www.denniskirk.com/irc/heavy...prd/535352.sku
Also this rim strip
https://www.denniskirk.com/kenda/16-...prd/535197.sku

I go the extra mile to wrap the rim strip in place and inner rim surface With 3M electrical tape. I don't try to wrap the sides..

I have had no flats to date...
Unread 08-04-2013, 05:55 AM

I frankly use duct tape for my rim strips and am having no issues. I'd agree that some of these parts were used for racing. I see the starter block-off and case vent and these are two typical AHRMA mods. I'd suspect the cover is aftermarket, so probably fairly rare.I'm real jealous and you have a great parts stash now. I'm running out of 160 engines!
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:05 PM

I finally got around to changing out the innertube on my rear tire today. The stem was completely separated from the tube at it's base. Of course, because the stem is restrained by a nut in an upright position I couldn't be forewarned of any tube creep as you can detect on an unrestrained stem on a bicycle tube. I wonder if it was tube creep and if it was, maybe I should leave that little stem nut off so if the tube does creep it will be given away by a tilting stem?
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:39 AM

I think the tire moved on the rim taking the tube with it. This is the first time I've heard of this. I would make sure any tire mounting lube is cleaned away before inflating the tire.
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverinomeiste View Post
Hi Everyone:
I am having a blast riding my CA95. I retired in June so I no longer have the opportunity to do the epic 25 miler to work. Sadly, I only managed to get two of those in before I was led out to pasture.
Yesterday, while returning from a quick trip to the bank the rear tube blew out on me in traffic at about 35 mph. It felt kind of like I was doing an involuntary Hula Dance. I got her slowed down and over to the side of the road without any problem. This is the second tube to blow on me. I've either got to examine my mounting technique or buy better tubes. I've been buying pretty cheap ones. Any Ideas?
Based solely upon the original post I'd guess the stem was removed during the "Hula Dance" and the deflation was due to some other penetration or possibly rot in the tube (condition was not mentioned). Better tubes are usually reinforced in the stem area but as always ymmv.
My technique is to use a bit of talcum powder in the tire, inflate the tube prior to mounting to observe any possible defects, deflate tube, mount up everything, inflate to about 3/4 recommended pressure, bounce the assembly several times on the pavement going around the entire circumference of the rim, deflate and repeat then fill to pressure. If I'm really being careful I'll then submerge the rim (not the hub) looking for leaks.
I also use a stem nut on both the inside and outside of the rim.
This has worked well for me even on tubeless tires mounted to spoked rims.
Just my way and certainly not the only way. Typically I spend about $15.00 on tubes.
L
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Thankyou Spokes and Larz. All these things that don't occur to me. A blowout can be dangerous and I do not want it to happen again. I saw that stem hanging there and just assumed... I am going down to the shop tonight and take a closer look at that tube.
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:35 PM

Default Tube Fail Pic

I looked the tube over for any holes, after not finding any, I put as much air in it as I could and stuck my thumb over the stem crater. I couldn't detect any other leaks and when it blew the other day it blew big time. I think I bought this tube at the Honda dealer, but I have no idea how long a 16 inch tube would sit on their shelf. They have some stuff on their shelves thats been there for 50 years, Including some NOS keyswitches, no CA95's though but I am pretty sure they have an S90 keyswitch, but I drift....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube fail.JPG (250.2 KB, 5 views)
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Guess what I found inside my chainguard.

When I was done putting the CA 95 back together after my tube change I let it sit on it's center stand for a few days. Lastnight I felt like going for a short ride. While giving the bike a quick once over I noticed the rear wheel wasn't spinning freely. I figured I had the chain too tight so I popped off the inspection cover and determined the chain was fine. I loosened the axle and still had the binding problem. So, figuring I messed up somewhere with reassembly I started removing pieces one at a time. The axle was fine, the brakes weren't rubbing and the tire wasn't rubbing. After I had the wheel off I tried to give the drive hub a spin and it bound. I wondered if I had the drive hub retaining nut too tight so I loosened it and it had no effect. I loosen the nut until the hub was floppy loose and still the hub bound. The only parts that I could not see to inspect at this point were the drivechain and sprocket so I reluctantly began the task of removing the chain guard. I sure can understand why the teenagers of the 1960's tossed those chainguards! Once I had the guard off I could easily see what the problem was. Wrapped tightly around the axle between the sprocket and swingarm was nearly half of the rim liner that exited the rim when my tube blew.