FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 07-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Default 1971 Honda CL70 Won't Start... Help!!

So I've adjusted the valves, the ignition timing (points open as the the "f" and little line align) and set the carburetor to the specifications in my Clymer manual. The spark plug works perfectly and it has a new battery and ignition coil. All this and it will not run. I got it to start for a few seconds but couldn't get it to start again afterwards. However, it would run before I adjusted the valves and timing (but not very well). It would begin to die and shoot flames out of the exhaust after applying 1/4 throttle. Another new problem is that the the petcock (or the metal inserts which connect the petcock to the fuel line) is worn and now leaks. Would this cause it to not start? It's not a very big leak, about 1 drop a minute.

Should I just order a new petcock? I think it just the outlet nipples that were destroyed when my brother tried to rip them out of their old fuel line.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM

Once I get it running I'll post pictures!! The bike is in absolutely amazing condition!
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Default Fouled Plug?

My son bought a '72 CL 70 last week and it drove home just fine. Next day, it wouldn't start. After a lot of forum support, we narrowed it down to a fouled out spark plug. Once we got it to start, we emptied the gas tank and refilled it with fresh fuel. If your bike sat for any length of time..even a couple of weeks in some climate, you could have bad fuel. Those are the simple places to star looking before you o anything drastic. Good Luck!
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Glad you found that it was the spark plug. I advise people to start with the cheapest fix first...

#1 replace the fuel!
#2 replace spark plug etc etc

Of course you just said this yourself but it's exactly where people should start... oh wait... FIRST check that the ignition switch is in the "on" position. No joke - a friend of mine couldn't start his old bike and I just simply switched the ignition over the other direction and it started right up.
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM

Default How do I reattach the fuel Line ( 72 CL 70)

The fuel line on our CL 70 became disconnected at the engine (inside the frame), which looks pretty well inaccessible. Do I have to drop the engine to get the hose back on it's connection?
Unread 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Hey everyone! So you know how I mentioned the small leak? Well I fixed that with some sort of gas tank repair putty and a new petcock. The bike ran like it was new after that! It would start on every kick no matter how weak. After a few times running it I guess a gasket finally gave out. The bike still starts but revs as if it were at full throttle. Using WD-40 I sprayed around some known gaskets until I found what I think is the problem. When I sprayed the cover for the timing chain the idle would slow down and almost die. I made a new gasket with some of this: http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm

Not sure if it'll work though so I ordered an entire new gasket set. Does that make any sense that a leak for where the timing chain is would cause problems? It wasn't even leaking oil.

As for Kvanpamel, I have no idea why your fuel line even goes through the frame. I haven't seen one like that.

As for everyone else's ideas: I know I'm a beginner at mechanics but I developed the habit of checking the key, petcock/fuel line, then plug when it doesn't start. So until I get my gaskets heres a picture of the bike for you guys to drool over :P

She's not perfect but she's getting there
Next job is to maybe get a new kickstand because the other looks like it was broken an welded back together... Not properly though.
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Default Looks Great!

Same color as ours....yeah..have no idea where that gas line disappears to once it leaves the carb, but I made the mistake of not pulling the hose off of the carb when we took it off for a cleaning and I must have disconnected the other end from whatever it's attached to. I'm really hoping we can figure a way to put it back as it was without pulling the engine out. We're totally new at this..we can't even get the seat off! I ordered a repair manual...wish us luck.
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Oh!!!! I know what you're talking about... That isn't part of the fuel line! that's just the overflow. The fuel leaves the carb to the engine by that metal pipe (called the inlet pipe) on the left side of the carb in the picture. The overflow is the black tube you see on the bottom of the carb going into the frame. It's not supposed to be connected to anything on the other end so don't worry you're safe!
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Ahhhh!!!!

You're right. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what that thing was doing. Great and thanks. We have a leak but I'm sure that's just the carb not being seated right. Really appreciate it.
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Where is the leak coming from?
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM

It was the carb. I didn't seat it properly. It's fine now. No leaks and she starts right up.
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Awesome! That's great to hear!
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Finally got to ride it!

So remember that gasket maker I talked about? It seemed to have worked pretty good. The compression improved by so much it's incredible. I almost thought it had gotten seized somehow. It'll stop being able to idle after warming up though.

Another thing: While riding it's like the bike is really missing a lot of power. It accelerates VERY slowly after 2nd gear and the most i can get it is 3rd. Also it hesitates and jumps and whatnot. Any ideas of why this is?

I checked again for leaks and couldn't find any
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM

So I found something today that I found really weird. When I turn on the flashers on the bike, the bike gains a lot of power. Enough power to get me to 20 mph instead of 10. Any ideas?
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Update: After inspecting the plug I noticed it was had a pretty big layer of carbon that wasn't there from the last time I checked. In addition I checked the wires for any shorts. To fix the over-rich mixture I brought down the float height about 2mm and there were also a few wires that looked like they could cause problems. The bike got me to 30mph this time but refused to go faster.

Another thing to note: I couldn't get the bike to idle and it ran better with the air screw all the way in. The more I back the air screw out the faster the idle becomes. The idle screw has no effect, though.

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE help me out.

I took a video while riding it but don't know how to upload it onto here soo...