FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrweld
Default New guy with question

I have a 64 model ca95 that I pulled outa barn loft that had been setting for 10 plus years, with a little cleaning and tinkering it started on the 6th kick.. While I wasnt paying attention a buddy hooked up a 12 volt battery to it and tried the electric starter ands it worked fine. It did blowall the lights though. since then I bought a new 6 volt battery and have rode it several times. It sat for two days and completly drained the battery and now cant get it to start by kicking it.. Any ideas???? Maybe fried something else???
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM

I think you need some power in the battery to start. It doesn't have to be much but some. If the battery is totally drained this could be the problem.
Unread 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Default dead battery

try charging the battery first, hopefully that will work. second would be the rectifier might be fried or the coils. both of these parts are designed for 6 volt. Hopefully also its not these s both can be pricey and hard to find. I see that you rode it after the 12 volt experience therefore the coils and rectfifier should be ok. Curt

Last edited by weestrom05; 05-02-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: reread original post and changed the response.
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrweld

The coils are new and never got to see the 12 volts, I had another coil on it at that time waiting on my new one to come in. The battery was also new and fully charged when I put it on and rode for several miles. After that ride it sat for 2 days and got back on to ride again and it was dead, actually showed 2.2 volts with a volt meter but wouldnt start.. Something is draining the battery while it is setting, or it was runnng off the battery while I was riding it and the charging system is not charging..
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:31 PM

The ignition switch has six positions, make sure you turn it off on the second click from lower position going clockwise. If you leave it off on the last position it will drain the battery. Also do not start the bike with a bad battery or a low power one, it will also may burn the lights.