FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM

Default found this

https://www.pinterest.com/JohnR324/honda-150-c95/
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:42 AM

hi sam,i not equipted to take pictures of my benly cylinder head to send,but the only noticable difference appears to be each end of the cylinder head is finned on each end where as mine is smooth,also the finned cover opposite of the cam side has four bolts holding it on where as my original has three holding it on.all three holes line up,looks like they maybe added a fourth screw on the other head.if i have not confused you too much tell me youf thoughts.thanks rum-rum
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Speaking from memory, the 1963 & earlier CA95's had a tachometer drive on the right side of the engine. The cam has a worm gear on said years. The final production years of 1964/65 had no tachometer drive and the cam was stubbed.

I am pretty sure that the cam shaft's are not interchangeable. But I am fairly sure that complete heads are interchangeable.
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:06 PM

What Chip (spokes) says is correct, the Canadian head only had a three screw fixing on the right hand side as you sit on it.
If you have bought a CA95 (American model) head it shouldn't be a problem provided you have the 4 bolt cover. I have them but I'm sure one of our American members should be able to fix you up with one, let me know if you need it.
The fins V smooth surfaces don't make any difference.
The only problem is if you have an early CA95 head that had the tacho drive.
Measure the bearing surface on your Canadian cam and the mating surface in the head that you've bought.

Sam.
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM

thanks sam and spokes . i do have bothe three and four bolt covers,i will be changing one cam and rocker arms and using them on the other head.so if this setup works my last thing question involves doing wht ever i can to the head to increase hp whether it be shaving the head or anything while i have the head off.probably asking too much from the benly but if anyone knows sam and spokes does..thanks rob
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:13 PM

this is for spokes,my c95 63 benly did not have the worm gear setuo for a tack does this mean its a llate 63 versus an early 63.i think the tack setup would also be cool,but have not seen where the actual tack would be located on the bike..
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM

The first thing to check is your engine number. The American model reads CA95E-then the 1st number is the year. I imagine that your model number would be C95E-then the 1st number is the year. So your engine number, if it is a 1963, should read C95E-3XXXXXXX. If so, the higher the serial number after the first digit the later in the year production was for the engine.

It is possible that if the engine was a late 1963 build and Honda depleted their inventory of 1963 engine components, they could of installed a later engine stamped as a 1963.

Additional variables could be someone already had installed a later model head...or perhaps the non tachometer head was already being used for the Canadian market....or it is not the original engine if the serial number reads C95E-4 or 5
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:38 AM

Rum rum, did your 4 screw cover come with the 4 screw head?
Has the new head that you bought got steel combustion chambers cast into the head?
Does your cam fit into the new head?
If yes to these 3 questions, you should be good to go as you have bought a late model CA95 head.
DON'T have the head skimmed, it will throw your valve timing out.
Fit CA95 pistons for more performance, they are higher compression.

Sam.
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:43 AM

Posted pics would settle this great discussion. Interesting note about shaving the head. I would not of guessed that shaving the head would throw off the timing. But it makes sense.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM

I wasn't going to say it regarding the head shaving so I'm glad you did Sam. You re-confirmed again (how's that for redundancy) what I thought I knew.
Gotta be careful about overhead cam geometry.
So what pistons do I put in my CA95 to raise compression on it Sam?
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM

CB175, but then you need to jack up the block and you then run into the same problem but in reverse.
If you think about it, move the cam nearer or further away from the crank and your cam timing becomes advanced or retarded, even if you only take off or add a little.
Another way to throw out the valve timing is by use of a very worn cam chain.
Set up your valve timing and adjust the cam chain with the covers off..see how far out your timing marks are.
This is why tuners of high performance engines use adjustable cam sprockets to dial in the cams.

Sam.
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:45 AM

my new cylinder has a 4 screw cover as is the head.it appears to be a cast iron chamber.i have not tried putting my cam into the other head so that is next step. The head shaving is out of the guestion and i already have ca pistons in the bike,not kmowing they were higher compression ...thanks all for your input.i wish there was a site like this for my xt500
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM

If your Canadian C95 camshaft is the same as the UK and other C95s, you can improve your bikes performance by fitting the later model CA95 cam, the one without the tacho drive worm on the end.
Here's an easy way to check which cam you have.
Hold the cam by the sprocket end at arms length and point the other end to between your eyes.
Rotate the cam until you have the lobes pointing to left and right.
Each lobe has a curved and a flat side. The flat sides need to be looking upwards.
Now imagine you are looking at a clock instead of the end of the cam.
If the flat sides were the fingers of the clock, they should point to 10 oclock to the left and 2 oclock to the right. That's a C95 cam.
If they point to 9 and 3 oclock, then you have a CA95 cam. Simple
Don't worry if the times are a few minutes out as I'm just guessing from memory but you really can see the distinct V or butterfly effect with the C95 one.

Sam.
Unread 11-19-2013, 04:18 AM

ok thanks sam i will check my cam to see if it is the canadian version ,in the meantimei quess ill look for a ca cam.thanks agagin rob