FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Transmission & Other Stuff

Transmission & Other Stuff Drivetrain tech and other Taco build related stuff.

Unread 03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I have seen a few people around the internet forums put LED and other colors bulbs in the panel so I really want to try that as well. People say purple is too annoying and the green and amber are the better choices. Also I saw an ice white LED display that was REALLy neat looking. I think I might be going with that or green. Whatever I do I just want it a little brighter looking. The bulbs that are in there right now are original and have just lost a little luminosity over the years. I was happy it came apart so easily! The speedo also made a scratching noise sometimes on cold mornings. It sounds like a mouse scratching the inside of the speedo so I hope a shot of some silicon spray lube should take care of that. Or a dab of synthetic grease at least. To continue on the subject of changing out the light in the dash to something a little newer looking I started another thread - Changing Out The Tacoma Dash Lights.

Unread 03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Admin

Finishing up putting things back together: The HVAC controller is a pretty important piece so I hope no ones breaks anything while taking theirs apart. Assembling these parts and re-attaching the cables can also be a little tricky. As long as you watch how you route the cables when putting things back you won't have much of a problem. But there is a tricky steel tab from the dash support bar that must go over the controller and not under.

Anyhow here is a look at the Tacoma HVAC controller with the cables reconnected.
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Admin

Here is a look under the unit in case anyone needs to see. Just next to the yellow dot you can see the steel tab that the controller must be mounted under. Just installing the HVAC controller with the back end down will do the trick but it's a pain if you forget about it.

Unread 03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Admin

Here we have the controller installed and I'm pointing at the steel tab with a screwdriver. The AC button wiring connector is a pain to reinstall into the controller but to remove and reinstall it you need to release the plastic button on the connector and remove it from underneath. Re-installation requires you to push it up into the controller from the bottom in the reverse fashion of course.

To anyone preparing to remove this unit make sure you remove the fan speed selector switch (the big white things underneath the controller in the pictures in previous post) BEFORE you try and remove the cable that it obstructs. And when re-installing make sure you put the cable back and mount it in place before you attach the fan speed selector switch.
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Admin

So waiting for some parts for the welder left me with some time to button up the interior. It's nice to have it all together and over with now. No more stray parts inside. I'm on my way to having a totally rejuvenated truck inside and out.

I'm most happy with how the instrument cluster came out. It was really really dirty before and the plastic casing was scratched from cleaning it. Now it's nearly new after taking it completely apart and polishing it clear again.

Unread 12-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Admin

And also while I was making a new body lift for the truck I wanted to extend the steering shaft instead of using an extension. I'll get way better piece of mind while going over the woop sections with a welded steering shaft! I always fear the steering wheel coming off in my hands when under the worst conditions!!

Check out this thread page showing the removal, maintenance, extending and painting of the steering shaft.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showth...?t=248&page=14